Can't get computer to power on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get computer to power on

Hi guys! I've been reading the boards for a while and finally decided to put a computer in my car. I put a Dell in the passenger seat and tried to plug it in, but the power cord didn't fit in the cigarette lighter. I cut the three prong connector off the end and used JB Weld to attach the wires of the cord into the lighter hole, but it's still not booting. Do I need to use some sort of special software? When I soldered it in, btw, there was a weird noise from under my dash near the steering wheel and now my car doesn't start. I don't think it's related, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks!
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Originally posted by Chairboy
    Hi guys! I've been reading the boards for a while and finally decided to put a computer in my car. I put a Dell in the passenger seat and tried to plug it in, but the power cord didn't fit in the cigarette lighter. I cut the three prong connector off the end and used JB Weld to attach the wires of the cord into the lighter hole, but it's still not booting. Do I need to use some sort of special software? When I soldered it in, btw, there was a weird noise from under my dash near the steering wheel and now my car doesn't start. I don't think it's related, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks!

Doesn't sound good!

Did you cut you AC plug off, and wire it to a DC power source?!

Adam.
    Toyota Supra TT | EPIA MII 10000 | 256Mb DDR RAM | Indash VGA | OPUS 150W | 80Gb HDD | GPS | 802.11b | GPRS

Comment

He is joking obviously. If he is serious, he better just give up on ever having a computer in his car because he is clueless.
      7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
      ATVMS.com

Comment

Your rig is probably just low on acid. Go to the loacal hardware store and get a gallon of muriatic acid. Pour it in your case. Wait ten minutes and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by eCarô
          Your rig is probably just low on acid. Go to the loacal hardware store and get a gallon of muriatic acid. Pour it in your case. Wait ten minutes and try again.
          I went to to hardware store and they told me to get it at a swimming pool store. They acted weird when I asked, is it expensive or something? I will try and go to the swimming pool supply place this afternoon, I have to get the bus schedule (car broken).

Comment

Did you pay your light bill?

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
              He is joking obviously. If he is serious, he better just give up on ever having a computer in his car because he is clueless.
              I'm not stupid, I used JB Weld, not glue this time.

Comment

I'm not stupid, I used JB Weld, not glue this time.
                Yeah, it's a bit expensive. I've got a connection though. Send me a money order for US$178.63, and I'll ship you a gallon.

Comment

I found a friend who has the mutara acid or whatever, but he said it came in his peeseebee etcher, not sure what that is. What do I do with it?

Comment

you're supposed to use a potato to power the carputer, not the cigarette lighter!
                    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                    I'M DEBT FREE!!
                    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I found a friend who has the mutara acid or whatever, but he said it came in his peeseebee etcher, not sure what that is. What do I do with it?
                      Just pour it in your case. Don't worry if some leaks out into your car, it will leave a pleasant smell behind when it evaporates.

Comment

Make sure to refill your blinker fluid.. When that gets low your car wont start until you refill it again. PM me and I can get you a really good deal on some

Comment

Originally posted by Absolut
                          Make sure to refill your blinker fluid.. When that gets low your car wont start until you refill it again. PM me and I can get you a really good deal on some
                          My car doesn't start right now, where do I put the blinker fluid?

BTW, I put some of that mulanrouge acid in my computer like you guys said and it's still not booting. I just did a cool case mod in the meantime. On the side where it says 'DELL' I took a marker and put a line across the D, now it says 'BELL'. awesome.

Comment

See attached chart...

~mike
                            Attached Files
                            Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                            PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                            2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

My car doesn't start right now, where do I put the blinker fluid?

BTW, I put some of that mulanrouge acid in my computer like you guys said and it's still not booting. I just did a cool case mod in the meantime. On the side where it says 'DELL' I took a marker and put a line across the D, now it says 'BELL'. awesome.
                              Hahahaha... Too funny.

Just paypal the money and I will even do it for you... I can actually do it over the computer so no need to see you or the car. Technology these days is soo cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X