I'm a newbie to all this~~~~~please enlighten me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a newbie to all this~~~~~please enlighten me

I'm very interested in setting up a comp. sys. in my car, but I 've a bunch of questions.
    - My budget is limited, so I'm looking forward to getting a relatively small LCD screen (not monochrome ones though). I will use the comp mainly for MP3. Which ones will u guys recommend??

- I found some on ebay that costs 100+ USD. I heard that those need a controller or something? is that true? and how does that work?

thx~~~

You can find a bunch on eBay but alot of the cheaper ones do need a controler card. Your best bet is to spend the extra money for an "all-in-one" TFT screen. Just look for ones that have a RCA input for video. The price varies alot when it comes to size. If you want to run Windows, Winamp or play movies, bigger is better. I wouldn't go for anything smaller than 5".

If you are going to just play MP3s and don't care much about video, then contact Arby for one of his great character LCD screens if he has any available.

Be sure to have an in-depth look at your car before buying a display. Figure out what room you have and what can fit in it.

Good luck, and welcome to the board!
    http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
    Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

Since my budget is limited, I think I'm looking for a setup that does the job with minimized cost.
      What 5.6" LCD would you guys recommend????
      again, i'm looking for something inexpensive.
      thx

Comment

Go for something like this:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1307342432

~ $100
        www.arbybean.com

Comment

thx for the url
          do u know if the screen is detachable, 'cus I don't want my car to be broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by kk-210:
            <STRONG>thx for the url
            do u know if the screen is detachable, 'cus I don't want my car to be broken in.</STRONG>
            Depends on how you decide to mount it!
            1983 BMW 733i
            Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
            Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

Depends on how you decide to mount it!
              So is there any particular way that you recommend?? I see some screens come with a stand, but it doesnt look like the screen can be detached easily, without unscrewing.
              thx.

Comment

If your budget is limited, you could skip the LCD altogether and go with a different (free) system like voice feedback...
                Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I would like to have a LCD screen for playstation and VCD. So i would like to use my limited amount of money to get a good-enough setup

Comment

Working...
                  X