USB 1.1 DVD - too crappy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 1.1 DVD - too crappy?

pretty much every slim USB enclosure works with 1.1... so..

is DVD performance gonna be ok on 1.1?

on a side note... will i be able to install windows from a USB drive?

i don't know about the dvd being crappy, but I don't think you can do a fresh install off a usb drive. But if you already had a version of windows on the computer and you just wanted to upgrade, that would be possible. It would also be faster if you just copied the cd to your hard drive and then installed it.

Comment

thats true... worst case scenario i copy xp cd to hard drive on my desktop.

here's my problem.

i only have USB 1.1.
      i have little/no $$
      i have a slim DVD.

i have a 1/2" thick space for installing the DVD. drive will clear OK, but IDE adapters look like they're too thick. btw... any1 have one they could measure?

if the adapter won't clear... i'm gonna go external. if i go external, i have to get an enclosure ($20) and either use existing 1.1 or upgrade to a 2.0 card. the 2.0 card brings 2 more problems. 1) clearance (pci overhead = 1") and 2)to clear, need $15 riser + $10 card.

basically i'm looking for a DVD adapter thats less than the thickness of the drive itself (1/2").

cost breakdown:
      dvd adapter (if it fits): <$20 (best)
      USB enclosure: $20
      USB 2.0 (if required): $15
      PCI Riser: $10.

obviously i want either 1.1 or a slim (adjective) DVD adapter.

Comment

Installing Windows XP off of a USB DVD drive will work, I have done it. It all depends on the your motherboards BIOS settings. The Epia 10000M will boot and install off of a USB DVD drive.

As far as DVD with USB 1.1, you can copy files and stuff over, but DVD playback will not be very good. The bandwidth of the video is just too much for 1.1 as far as I can tell with research...
        OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
        www.whipflash.com
        Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by cybermob2
          thats true... worst case scenario i copy xp cd to hard drive on my desktop.

here's my problem.

i only have USB 1.1.
          i have little/no $$
          i have a slim DVD.

i have a 1/2" thick space for installing the DVD. drive will clear OK, but IDE adapters look like they're too thick. btw... any1 have one they could measure?

if the adapter won't clear... i'm gonna go external. if i go external, i have to get an enclosure ($20) and either use existing 1.1 or upgrade to a 2.0 card. the 2.0 card brings 2 more problems. 1) clearance (pci overhead = 1") and 2)to clear, need $15 riser + $10 card.

basically i'm looking for a DVD adapter thats less than the thickness of the drive itself (1/2").

cost breakdown:
          dvd adapter (if it fits): <$20 (best)
          USB enclosure: $20
          USB 2.0 (if required): $15
          PCI Riser: $10.

obviously i want either 1.1 or a slim (adjective) DVD adapter.

If your slim drive will fit, so will the adaptor. My adaptor is exactly teh height of the DVD drive, it just makes it abou 1/2" deeper.

Hope that helps.
          Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

As said above, you can load OS from a USB device if MB's BIOS supports it.
            DVD playback on USB 1.1 is horrible.

Comment

Working...
            X