anti-theft for MP3 players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-theft for MP3 players

When I tell people that I can put a computer in their car, their first response is "what about theft?" most of these guys dont want to have to type in a password at bootup, and i know that this has been an issue with some of you. www.rainbow.com has developed a "keychain smartcard" that basically looks like a USB cable with the end cut off. They call it the iKey and basically the computer cannot be used without this "key" in a USB port somewhere.
    the possibilities for this are endless. imagine using this iKey to start you car!
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Or how about fingerprint security. I've seen this used on desktops and it not too shabby, its called "U.ARE.U: Fingerprint Recognition System". I cant remember the manufacturer but you can check it out here
    http://www.custom-solution.com/uru.htm

Comment

My computer is in the trunk, and I usually don't worry about it alot. I've parked it in Boston, and I don't think anyone notices it, or if they do they don't know what it is and don't bother. Finally if they do know what it is then why would they want it. Its a bunch of parts that I got for free from my garage, attick (sp?) or friends. (Besides the DC-DC)
      BEN

Comment

I totally agree with Saab, the pc is on the trunk of my car, nobody knows its there, and anyways, the only valuable part of it is the hd, so, who cares...And what kind of protection has to offer an external usb device???, the pc wont boot?...hehe

Comment

Hey guys i mean who needs a security on mp3 players in the car? Its not as you store some important information in it!!! only thing i guess we need to worry about is to hide the mp3 box away from publics eye but then again do you really think that thieves will be smart enough to understand what that metal box (if of course you are smart enough not to put the computer into the tower or desktop case) is under the sit or in the trunk??
          Even if you got the LCD sceen nicly mounted in the dash, not many people will even think that its a LCD screen or what more its connected to a computer.
          So for know i think we pretty safe from those traditional everyday thieves

------------------

Fosgate
          Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
          Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

jeez, i thought you guys wouldnt want your MP3 systems stolen since youve put so much time and money into them. yes, i know some of you got your parts for free, but i guess you think you can get them for free again if your stuff gets stolen. anyway, its kinda like some of the anti-theft systems on car stereos nowadays (you know, the ones where if power is disconnected then the radio doesnt work).
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

yeah, i know someone that got theirs stolen. It was in a Mitsubishi Eclipse and everything was hidden. The box was in the trunk and the lcd was hidden in the dash. In his case, it really didnt matter if it was hidden or not, or password protected...they still got it. The only problem is, id like to these robbers use Linux(SuSE). Hehe
              2004 F-150
              Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
              "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

There will always be car theft, there will always be car stereo theft. You can put all the fancy devices on your car player so that once stolen others won't be able to use it but, if someone steals your car player and finds out that he can't turn it on without a password or finger print scan he is not going to return it anyway. Your best protection is a good car alarm, which is not even 100% protection

Comment

Working...
                X