• Show
Clear All

• keyboard/mouse ps/2 y splitter

hi all
    I got me a keyboard/mouse ps/2 y spliter. On the back it says :
    "Allows simultaneous connecttion of two ps/2 devices"
    and
    "Keyboard and mouse can be connected to a single port"

It dosnt allow the simutaneous connection of 2 keyboards though. Only one of the connecters work at one time. SO has anyone played with these splitter devices? Or figured out another way of connecting 2 keyboards (one of the keyboards have been hacked up, and is now a joystick) ? I dont really want to cut the y splitter up and try to figure out how to recconect the wires, its messy and annoying.

Heres a link :
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH3266
    stupid quote # 1 : "i dont do drugs , i only ever smoke pot when i'm coming down" , Me , 6 september , 2001.

I'd junk the attempt to connect two devices to the ps2 and go for at least one usb device. You can pick up a good wireless usb keyboard for relatively cheap at PC club, WalMart, or compusa. I bet a lot more places have comparable prices too, but those are the three in my area. Hard wiring ps2 devices are somewhat simple, but tedious and a pain in the rear.

Then you can play with the idea of hiding the keyboard's receiver behind a panel of smoked glass and keep your keyboard stashed in the glove box or under the seat, etc.

Hope this helps,

Marc
    If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Jeckyl
      I'd junk the attempt to connect two devices to the ps2 and go for at least one usb device. You can pick up a good wireless usb keyboard for relatively cheap at PC club, WalMart, or compusa. I bet a lot more places have comparable prices too, but those are the three in my area. Hard wiring ps2 devices are somewhat simple, but tedious and a pain in the rear.

Then you can play with the idea of hiding the keyboard's receiver behind a panel of smoked glass and keep your keyboard stashed in the glove box or under the seat, etc.

Hope this helps,

Marc

yeah.... good idea. But i already have 2 ps/2 keyboards. And one of them has been hacked up to work as a joystick and i dont fancy doing that to another keyboard.... it was a complete ***** >8) thanks anyway, i'll keep that in mind for the future.
      I have decided to hack up the y splitter, so the end result is that i will plug my normal keyboard into the joystick. and the joystick into the ps/2 plug on my pc.
      This isnt an mp3car related project sorry, its just that people on this board are good lateral thinkers, and hardware hackers.
      stupid quote # 1 : "i dont do drugs , i only ever smoke pot when i'm coming down" , Me , 6 september , 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by samael
        yeah.... good idea. But i already have 2 ps/2 keyboards. And one of them has been hacked up to work as a joystick and i dont fancy doing that to another keyboard.... it was a complete ***** >8) thanks anyway, i'll keep that in mind for the future.
        I have decided to hack up the y splitter, so the end result is that i will plug my normal keyboard into the joystick. and the joystick into the ps/2 plug on my pc.
        This isnt an mp3car related project sorry, its just that people on this board are good lateral thinkers, and hardware hackers.
        Why not just hack into the cable of the keyboard you already cut up. You could run a PS2 extension cable right into it.

Comment

Originally posted by MSUC5Vette
          Why not just hack into the cable of the keyboard you already cut up. You could run a PS2 extension cable right into it.
          thats right. I am doing thaat right now....

Comment

a single PS2 port has the pins for two PS2 devices. My guess is the Y cable puts the primary pins on from the bus as the primary pins on one of the ends of the Y, and the seccondary pins from the bus as the primary pins on the other end of the Y.

Splice away, let us know how it works out.
            car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

well that was easyer than i expected. i wonder what i broke.... >8)

Comment

Working...
              X