which would help more? PCI video or audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which would help more? PCI video or audio

just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which would improve system performance more (overall speed/processing, not sound/video quality really)

i get some garbles in my MP3s during playback (with winamp, ME2.1.4, or Windows MP).. plan on adding some more RAM plus utilizing the PCI slot on the VIA -- don't want to use a dual riser yet cause a) i dont have one and b) i read some threads about video/audio interference (clicking/static when moving mouse, etc.) when using both on a dual riser.
    VIA EPIA 533 MHz
    256 MB RAM
    7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen
    20 gig HD
    Media Engine 2.1.4
    GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
    802.11b Connectivity

IMHO, go for the video, cause you can always do the audio external (usb). If you went with pci audio, you would be stuck with no video options.

I am sooo loving my All in Wonder PCI card, have been using it for a HTPC till the lilly gets back and it works fantastic!
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by Nav_Attack
      just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which would improve system performance more (overall speed/processing, not sound/video quality really)

i get some garbles in my MP3s during playback (with winamp, ME2.1.4, or Windows MP).. plan on adding some more RAM plus utilizing the PCI slot on the VIA -- don't want to use a dual riser yet cause a) i dont have one and b) i read some threads about video/audio interference (clicking/static when moving mouse, etc.) when using both on a dual riser.
      What video doe you have now. If its AGP then getting a PCI video card may hurt your performance instead of help it. The whole idea of AGP is that the video card does the graphics processing instead of having to have the CPU do that stuff. With PCI video the graphics processing will be done by the cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by azcowboy
        What video doe you have now. If its AGP then getting a PCI video card may hurt your performance instead of help it. The whole idea of AGP is that the video card does the graphics processing instead of having to have the CPU do that stuff. With PCI video the graphics processing will be done by the cpu.
        Thats ridiculous. The GPU does the video processing either way, however AGP has more bandwidth than PCI thats why its faster.
        Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

A video card will do nothing to help your MP3 problems. If you are running windows xp (hog), you could switch to windows 2000 to speed up your system.

Comment

well to answer a number of the questions -

i'm using the epia onboard audio AND video currently, along with 192 MB RAM and XP, which is probably why its so incredibly slow.

the USB audio solution is a good solution I think, thanks, and then I could use PCI video to take some more strain off of the mainboard/processor.

also i think i'll go to the 2000 installation, cause the thread detailing the lite install seems to be pretty thorough.

[EDIT] does anyone know how an external USB sound device (extigy, audigy, etc.) would affect using a USB FM Transmitter (i've ordered one but haven't received it yet -- it says it installs as a USB speaker system... so how would I route the output of the device to the transmitter?)
            VIA EPIA 533 MHz
            256 MB RAM
            20 gig HD
            Media Engine 2.1.4
            GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
            802.11b Connectivity

Comment

I personally am running 512mb ram and until I went to the All in Wonder PCI I was still having some video issues. The card really seemed to free things up for me, but maybe its just all the "newness" that makes it feel faster (you know, like washing your car makes it feel faster ). I use a USB "5.1" gizmo that Frys had accidentally marked for $15. I just went with it for simplicity once I install the system, so I can run usb all the way to the amp area and keep from running RCA's all over the place. I didnt really notice a difference in the sound performance or "feel"
              2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
                you know, like washing your car makes it feel faster
                I've always felt my car ran much better when clean it's just happier that way!

Comment

Originally posted by none
                  I've always felt my car ran much better when clean it's just happier that way!
                  The car feels faster after a carwash because you got soap all over your brakes
                  Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ahhh.....brakes just slow ya down anyway;

But back to the topic....
                    I would say spend the money on ram first, and see where your at. It might make all the difference.
                    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Ahhh.....brakes just slow ya down anyway;

But back to the topic....
                      I would say spend the money on ram first, and see where your at. It might make all the difference.
                      Thats right, I always said that breaks and turn-signals are for wussies

As for the original topic, more ram definately will help, you are running at pretty much bare minimum for XP. If you can afford it go to 512 you'll feel much better, plus your HDD will not be abused as much by constant swapping.

Comment

hehe, will do.
                        lol my desktop system is at 512.. i think i'm rapidly approaching the point where i'd rather upgrade my carputer than my desktop
                        VIA EPIA 533 MHz
                        256 MB RAM
                        20 gig HD
                        Media Engine 2.1.4
                        GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
                        802.11b Connectivity

Comment

You mean cars have brakes and turn signals. I'll have to check into that. Man you learn something new everyday.

As for the topic.

I heard somewhere that the VIA chips are nothing more than old Cyrix based chips. Is this information correct. If it is then the processors suck. Thats why Cyrix went by the wayside all those years ago as far as their processors go.

Plus you are running Win XP on a severly dated processor. While Microsoft may say that using that slow of a processor is alright you are going to have problems with performance. More memory will help but I think you would be better off upgrading the whole computer. Going to Windows 2000 may help a little but it still might be slow.

By going to a USB sound card you may ease the strain on your system some but if you put in a PCI video card you will just be wasting money. You will be removing one problem only to be adding another. Stick with the AGP video.

Sorry but I just don't feel like explaining how computer buses work right now. Just know that you are better off with the AGP

Comment

Originally posted by Nav_Attack
                            hehe, will do.
                            lol my desktop system is at 512.. i think i'm rapidly approaching the point where i'd rather upgrade my carputer than my desktop
                            You know I just realized I should not be answering posts at 3 am Even though adding RAM is going to help, I did not notice that your CPU is 533. You should upgrade that, or go to win2k lite. Or here is my 3am version of a carputer.
                            DELL PC $600
                            OPUS PSU $200
                            Professional installation $150
                            Explaining to DELL support why HDD failed: Priceless

All prices above are imagined, like I said its 3am

Comment

I definitely second that!! 192Mb of RAM and WinXP is killing your PC. That setup has to swap pages back and forth from disk for everything. That's what's causing your problems with MP3 play back. Get 512Mb of RAM and I'll bet all of your garbling problems will go away. Also your boot time will shrink, and your system will be a lot more responsive. Don't short change yourself by only going to 256Mb of RAM, unless you plan on using WinXPlite to trim down all the extra processes running.

I wouldn't bother with the video or sound upgrade. They're not going to help without the RAM. If you want another boost on top of just the RAM, buy WinXPlite. It's about $40 or so, and will trim down all the bloat-ware that WinXP loads and runs in the background. You'll see more benefit from those two things than a video card and a sound upgrade.
                              So far:
                              M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Working...
                              X