Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iopener will start requiring u buy internet service....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iopener will start requiring u buy internet service....

Just found this article at my fav' technology news site (www.tomshardware.com)

Netpliance closes 'I-opener' loophole

Netpliance has changed the terms of its user agreement to foil consumers who want to use its Internet applicance as a cheap computer.
    The Austin, Texas-based company, which sells the $99 "I-opener", now requires customers to sign up for at least 90 days of Internet service at $21.95 a month.
    The move comes after a Las Vegas slot machine mechanic figured out how to graft a hard drive onto the I-opener and transform it into a cheap Linux-based PC that could be used in conjunction with any ISP account.
    More details are available at www.news.com.

99 ram 5.9 turbo
    P4 2.0, MicroATX, Audigy2nx, Monster Cable / Alpine.
    Coming soon: Indash motorized, 5.1, dvdrw, gps, bluetooth, wifi, and more!

They have also changed the bios to not recognize hard drives, and then attatched it to the motherboard with epoxy. Some of them have also clipped off 4 of the ide pins.

Fortunately, they underestimate the power of the dark side! cheap solutions have been found for both of these problems (you can read about them <a href='www.i-opener-linux.net'>here</a>) and as far as I know, if you get them from Circuit City, you aren't required to sign up for the ISP service either.

¡Viva la revolucíon!

[This message has been edited by Meatballman (edited 04-09-2000).]

Comment

Working...
    X