Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard with P4 12V connector

Hello everybody,

I'm thinking of using this motherboard which has this 12v 4 pin connector (indicated near the arrow in the picture). I want to use DC-DC psu. The question is whould the psu be able to handle to load on the 12V rail since the cpu is powered using this 12V connector? Isn't it true that the cpu is powered by 5V thru the ATX connctor?

I really liked this board since it has everything I need. I just wanted to know whether should I go ahead and buy it. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Current project ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■___ 85%
    Xenarc 700TS, Mobile Athlon 1GHz, Soyo K7VME, 30Gb HD, Slimline DVD drive, TB Santa Cruz, Opus 120W
    Holux G210

03 Acura TL, Zapco & Precision Power amps, Adire Koda comps & EDesign 12" sub.

The new ATX12V boards do use more juice from the 12V rail. But as long as you don't overload it, a regular ATX power supply (with an adpter to connect to the 4 pin 12V socket on the mobo) will be fine.

Fortunately, we have the car's 12V power to run fans and other 12V accessories (that can deal with the voltage fluctuation), so keeping the load low on the 12v rail is not too diffucult.

Comment

If anything, as always, you can just run two power supplies in parallel.

Comment

You should have no problem running this board. Opus 150 DC-DC PS already has that connector. Be advised, the board is a 423 pin version. All new P4 CPUs are 478 pins.

Comment

Its an Socket A board and I'm going to run Mobile AMD on it which is supposed to run 35W max. And with AMD Powernow I think I will be able to reduce the power consumption. Its also possible to undeclock the cpu, but I couldn't find suitable board which are small enough to suit my needs. If you know pls let me know.
          Thanks again.
          Current project ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■___ 85%
          Xenarc 700TS, Mobile Athlon 1GHz, Soyo K7VME, 30Gb HD, Slimline DVD drive, TB Santa Cruz, Opus 120W
          Holux G210

03 Acura TL, Zapco & Precision Power amps, Adire Koda comps & EDesign 12" sub.

Comment

Originally posted by ashbosh
            Its an Socket A board and I'm going to run Mobile AMD on it which is supposed to run 35W max. And with AMD Powernow I think I will be able to reduce the power consumption. Its also possible to undeclock the cpu, but I couldn't find suitable board which are small enough to suit my needs. If you know pls let me know.
            Thanks again.
            I see. I figured you were going to put a P4 in it since the title had the P4 connector mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by P4_2.66GHz
              I see. I figured you were going to put a P4 in it since the title had the P4 connector mentioned.
              Yeah. Its those little details that will get ya every time.

Comment

Working...
              X