Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

250 watt subs affecting harddrive/other computer components?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 watt subs affecting harddrive/other computer components?

Ok, i have a question that doesn't seem has been addressed yet. I am putting an Mp3 system and subs in my car. In the trunk i am planning on putting the power inverter, amp, 2 250 watt subs, and a surge protector. Is it safe to put the computer backthere with them? i would think that the subs would screw up the harddrive, but no body that i have looked at has mentioned this.
    1988 Chevrolet Spectrum
    Pentium 233 / 32 MB RAM
    13.1 GB HDD
    Windows 98, stripped down, tweaked with Winboost 2000 Gold & TweakUI
    350 Watt Power Inverter
    Evation.Com's IRMAN
    40 x 4 Character Backlit LCD
    350 Watt Amplifier
    2 12" 250 Watt Subwoofers
    4 4" Pioneer Midrange Speakers

My friend had a Stang he had some subs right next to his box, with no shielding - his subs totally screwed up his hd.

It should be easy to sheild though, and I know his were like right on top of each other.
    Gizmo-
    Techonlogy on Wheels
    http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

ok, so what should i use to shield it if i do put it in the trunk with the subs?
      1988 Chevrolet Spectrum
      Pentium 233 / 32 MB RAM
      13.1 GB HDD
      350 Watt Power Inverter
      Evation.Com's IRMAN
      350 Watt Amplifier

Comment

I have 2 12w6's in mine and everything is fine. I have an external HD and that is in it's own case w/ fan and then the HD in the computer case itself.

Everything is running without any problems.

Comment

you could take away a lot of the magnetic waves.

Suppose you have a square sub-box, there's one side where the woofer is mounted. now take the opposite site of that box and mount a big metal plate on the inside of the box.

That should take away a lot of the magnetic waves

|| ||
          || ||
          / ||
          / ||
          |___________||
          |
          |=metal plate

Hope this helps you out.

Greets
          Raas - The Netherlands
          ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
          GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Hmm

ascii did mess up
            nevermind the garbage, but i think you get the point

Greetz
            Raas - The Netherlands
            ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
            GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

You said 250 Watt subs. Are those Pyramid 350 watt subs or Audiobahn 250 watt subs....it makes a huge difference. All subs are not created equal and different manufacturers either overrate or underrate thier equipment. If they're pyramid then they have tiny magnets and would probably blow if you actually tried putting a real 250 watts to them. If They're JL or Audiobahn etc then they have huge magnets and are probably underrated.

The point: The better the sub, the bigger the magnet, bigger magnets would be more likely to cause a problem.

Catlas

P.S. I've never had my computer next to my 2 Audiobahns so I can't personally relate as to whether it would actually cause a problem.

Comment

As long as the hard driv isn't right on the sub magnet which it wont since it will be in an enclosure anyway. Anything more than a foot or so away shouldnt be a problem at all. That should be achivable in most car boots.
                Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

You can use anny ferris (I.E. Magnetic) metal to shield them.
                  Gizmo-
                  Techonlogy on Wheels
                  http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

Magnetism isn't your major problem, It's the pure vibration of the subs that causes failure of the drive.... I have a hard disk sitting ON a sub for a test once, and it was there for about 12months. It still works fine, but the sub was never operating. Besides the HDD has a huge aliminium chassis anyway, so it's pretty shielded. It's more the physical side that they die from..... Well that's what I've seen anyway. Just mount it in a way so the subs can't shake the crap out of the drive
                    BjBlaster! Car MP3 & Carputer!
                    bjblaster.com

"The solution to one problem is only the beginning of another"

Comment

ok thanks everyone for the input - sorry i haven't checked back here for a few days. How does this sound:

The two subs will go in the box in the trunk, but the computer will be in the tire well under the carpet. i will have a hose connected to the fan so that there will be ventilation, and some foam to keept it from bouncing everywhere, and it will be a good foot away from my subs so i should be ok. only problem is, ,my damn box is SO BIG, that we had to kick it in, i dunno if i will be able to get it out

but anyhow, if i get a flat i will just call USAA Road service
                      1988 Chevrolet Spectrum
                      Pentium 233 / 32 MB RAM
                      13.1 GB HDD
                      350 Watt Power Inverter
                      Evation.Com's IRMAN
                      350 Watt Amplifier

Comment

2 rockford 10" dvcs running at 500 watts a piece with computer sitting smack dab in front of the sealed box for 3 maybe 4 years now. Haven't had a bad sector yet.
                        <A HREF="http://mp3mercury.ghettoware.net[/URL" TARGET=_blank>
                        [URL=http://mp3mercury.mp3car.com]http://mp3mercury.mp3car.com</A>

Comment

Working...
                        X