* WRX STi Infrared Reverse Cam mounted in tail light *

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• * WRX STi Infrared Reverse Cam mounted in tail light *

I finally got to mount the infrared cam in my car.

I choose the rear tail light cause it's dry in there and the hole was perfect and didn't require much modding.

I am concered about only having one reverse light now, is it agains't the law?

Also, I am going to swap this model for a color model without infrared LEDs, casue they are refecting off the lens causing some glare.
    Attached Files
    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
    GPSing - Digital Speedo
    Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
    Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Whats the purpose of the infrared camera other than the cool and geekness factor? I dont know about NY but I know here in CA the CHP(California Highway Patrol) will pull you over and at the very least let you know you have a bad tail light and if they have in their records that youve been told before a possible ticket.
    2003 Subaru Impreza TS
    Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

Comment

not sure if its illegal or not... just remember your car has reverse lights for a reason

question.. that infrared cam.... how is it at night? can you actually see everything? any screen caps you can show me? I'm looking at buying one but I'm a bit skeptical... they say it can see in 0 LUX conditions but i bought one of the wireless pinhole cams off ebay that supposedly can see down to 1 LUX lighting... but its bull**** b/c my 3 Lux cameras from x10.com are way better.. although the wireless is insane... had the receiver on the 2nd floor of my house and brought the cam in the basement and still had full picture and audio
      2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
      Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
      Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Comment

Can you post a pic of an image from the camera? Also, does the other cars headlights cause a lot of glare?

Comment

"I dont know about NY but I know here in CA the CHP(California Highway Patrol) will pull you over and at the very least let you know you have a bad tail light and if they have in their records that youve been told before a possible ticket."

- First off I have a STi and the visibility out of the back is not very good from the wing. The Supra and NSX I've seen have the cams in the trunk hole.
          - Second, how will the cop know you have a bad tail light if your moving foward most of the time. Unless they are stalking you at parking lots waiting for you to reverse.
          - Third, my friend just told me that if you have a reverse cam, you don't need reverse lights and you pass inspection... He works at a NYS inspection place.

"question.. that infrared cam.... how is it at night? can you actually see everything? any screen caps you can show me?"

-The cam is great in total dark. It's like having a LED flashlight and shining it. I tested it in my room in 100% darkness. Your eyes glow weird in the dark.

"Can you post a pic of an image from the camera? Also, does the other cars headlights cause a lot of glare?"

- I haven't drove much with it, but I will test more and post some in car pics soon.
          SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
          GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
            - Second, how will the cop know you have a bad tail light if your moving foward most of the time. Unless they are stalking you at parking lots waiting for you to reverse.
            All the CHP have laptops connected to the DMV database so they have a pretty good record.
            2003 Subaru Impreza TS

Comment

Nice.... I just took delivery of my '04 wrx yesterday (sold my m3 ) installing subs and what not tonight I need to get to work on building a double-din case for my eipa mII so I can get everything going!
              -- WireSix, Inc. --
              MP3Car Lives Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Maeveth
                All the CHP have laptops connected to the DMV database so they have a pretty good record.
                Thats' the least of my concerns now. Thanks Maeveth.

Should I also boost down my Turbo to 100 HP so I don't go too fast?
                GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Originally posted by techm3
                  Nice.... I just took delivery of my '04 wrx yesterday (sold my m3 ) installing subs and what not tonight I need to get to work on building a double-din case for my eipa mII so I can get everything going!

Did you get a STi? What year was your M3?

What sub's are you going to use?
                  I have a 10" JL in a 10" 40 dollar QLogic box that I got from circuit city. The same box I use for my CarPC.
                  I'm gonna get the custom 10" enclosure for the STi at http://www.need4speedpower.com/sound.html
                  GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Thats' the least of my concerns now. Thanks Maeveth.

Should I also boost down my Turbo to 100 HP so I don't go too fast?
                    Hehe I was just trying to be informative.
                    2003 Subaru Impreza TS

Comment

-The cam is great in total dark. It's like having a LED flashlight and shining it. I tested it in my room in 100% darkness. Your eyes glow weird in the dark.
                      neato... how many led's does your cam have? do they actually light up? is yours wired or wireless?

sorry for all the questions :P
                      2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
                      Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.

My XM FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by pyros
                        neato... how many led's does your cam have? do they actually light up? is yours wired or wireless?

sorry for all the questions :P
                        It has like 6 or 7 small ones, but I'm actually not liking it now, it's too bright for daytime use.
                        It's wired.

I'm gonna get the color one.

Who want's to buy mine with a waterproof dome for 40 buks shipped?
                        GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

is yours wireless or wired?

you should check out the day/night ones on ebay.. colour during the day.. b/w at night when it uses the infrared

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=48629
                          2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

It's wired.. Has audio and video and is a reversed image.

I got it from www.digitalww.com

The reason I don't want LED's is they reflect and cause glare inside the lens of my tail light.
                            GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

I have an Eclipse "race car" that has one reverse light removed and in it's place a battery kill switch. I had someone inspect it, and the way the law is - if the light EXISTS it must work. This is in PA. Well, my light is gone, and I have another, and it passed fine. Now I don't do much backing up in this car, but I wouldn't want to give up my WRX reverse light...

Comment

Working...
                              X