Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hardware is everyone using?

hey all, im new to forum so if this is all off then srry

anyway, when i look at cpus today, i dont see many that could be considered acceptable for a carputer. i believe some P4s suck over 80 watts, so you can see the problem. what i want to know is some common mobos and CPUs used by people who have already made their puters.

thnx to everyone

Here's something that might help. I look at everyone's signatures as I go through the various posts. A lot of people have their specs listed. It helped me on where to start/look for hardware. Incidentally, I have:

Epia 800
    20 gig laptop HD
    Slimline CD

Comment

Have a look at VIA's mini-ITX or nano-ITX motherboards/cpus.
      That's what most of th ppl here are using. They are very small sized and are using much less power than ATX/INTEL/AMD combos.
      By using the VIAs with half height/laptop drives, your whole setup will probably use less power than an P4 or AMD cpu alone.

Tom
      VIA EPIA M9000/120 GB/Xenarc 700TSV/Opus 90W DC-DC
      Haicom GPS/3Com 11g Wi-Fi/D-Link BT
      WinXP/myHTPC/InfoMap Navigator Eu/PhoneControl w/T68i
      Blaupunkt HU & speakers/Velocity active subs/Alpine amps

Progress: removed while waiting for nano-itx

Comment

can the via eden_n play divx compressed video?

Comment

Originally posted by Quazimodo
          can the via eden_n play divx compressed video?
          The M6000 and the M10000 can, according to reviews, do that quite nicely.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
          http://hallert.net/

Comment

look at signature...
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
              look at signature...
              Ditto
              7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
              ATVMS.com

Comment

defiller, how much watts does that system pull?

actually, im going to ask a very nooooob question... what is the max amps one can pull from a battery safely (not an instant discharge ofcourse)

Comment

I run a P233MMX system, it runs off less than 30W all in. See sig for spec. See website for pictures.

Rob
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Since everyones needs are different going by what other people use is not a good idea. Your needs may be different than someone elses.

What equipment you decide to go with will also determine what your power solution needs to be. Some people use Opus power supplies while others need inverters to power their computers. Decide what you want to the computer to do and then shop around like you would a desktop or laptop but remember that its going in a car so make sure you keep that in mind as well.

Comment

wellll id like to say thnx to everyone who posted, you guys helped alot
                      thnx yall

Comment

micro-ATX is okay if you have the ability to power it, and have the space to put it. i didnt like my mini-itx board.. it had too long of boot times and too slow a response. i traded it out for a micro-ATX board with sdram and a duron, and it's much better. i wish, though, i had just bit the bullet and bought a micro-atx board with good sound.. the sound on this one sucks so i have to use a sound card, and it's being a ***** to mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Walleye
                          micro-ATX is okay if you have the ability to power it, and have the space to put it. i didnt like my mini-itx board.. it had too long of boot times and too slow a response. i traded it out for a micro-ATX board with sdram and a duron, and it's much better. i wish, though, i had just bit the bullet and bought a micro-atx board with good sound.. the sound on this one sucks so i have to use a sound card, and it's being a ***** to mount.
                          Get USB sound!
                          Check my post at: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24520

Lates,

Rafster
                          Post # 3000

Comment

as i understand it, the onboard would be just as good as the USB sound. i'd prefer a sound card. i just wish i could afford a riser slot. instead, the guy who sold me it packaged a pci extender ribbon cable with it, so i need to figure out some way to mount it.

Comment

in sig...
                              Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

Working...
                              X