Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where can i find a USB cable like this one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can i find a USB cable like this one?

http://www.digitalww.com/images/usb_cable.jpg

(other than buying a TSK kit from Armen), I just need to repair a stupid USB mouse which had some cable issues.....

Thanks!
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Hell. Make your own The colors are a standard and you can see the pin outs.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
      Hell. Make your own The colors are a standard and you can see the pin outs.
      where do i get the little header thing that will fit into my mouse cradle?

Comment

Go to a computer parts store and just buy a USB cable and cut one end off. Then use anything from electrical tape to a soldering iron to connect the wires to your motherboard.
        Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
        Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
        sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

i guess i could solder teh cables back to the mouse, but it seems like since the mouse has a receptacle thing to take that little header, if i can find a cable IDENTICLE to the one in teh pic, the device will be working like new - which is the goal. Any ideas?

Comment

Check out www.digikey.com
            They've got just about any electronic component you can imagine. I'm sure they'd have that 4 pin header/connector.
            So far:
            M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway....

Why are you trying to repair the mouse? They're a commodity these days anyway. Just go buy a new one.

If your hell-bent on saving it, it should be easy enough to fix though.

Assuming that you didn't throw away the old cable already, just cut the connector off of the existing cable. Give yourself at least two inches of wire so you have enough slack to splice the new cable onto it.

If that doesn't work, just go to the store and buy a really cheap mouse and cannibalize it for parts. I do this whenever my Trackman marble (original three button version) buttons die, since this version of the trackball is no longer made. I use the trackball for gaming, so it gets beat on somewhat.

Comment

Thanks for teh responses guys!

Mr. Sinister - funny you should mention your trackman - that is exactly what i am fixing. I took apart my otical mouse (not primary, but i take it with me for laptop) and used the cable to fix the trackball, buit i suspect the header is where the problem s on the other cable - so cut-n-solder isnt going to work. I guess if i cant find the cable i can go buy the cheapest USB mouse i can find and take it apart....

We shall see.

Comment

some mice are bilt with hard kinks in the wire inside the house. like a few sharp turns. the old MS optical 1.0 had this. it was recalled dew to it. b/c the turns the wires thare would brake.. i fixed that mouse 3 times. cut out the parts with the kinks and soder it inside the mouse to the good wire. if you can cut the inside of the mouse to make the wire run more strait with less kinks. it will probly last longer
                  Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Comment

Originally posted by beaverpants
                    some mice are bilt with hard kinks in the wire inside the house. like a few sharp turns. the old MS optical 1.0 had this. it was recalled dew to it. b/c the turns the wires thare would brake.. i fixed that mouse 3 times. cut out the parts with the kinks and soder it inside the mouse to the good wire. if you can cut the inside of the mouse to make the wire run more strait with less kinks. it will probly last longer
                    yah beaver - the trackball would work when the wire was pulled sharply to the right diractly after it exited the mouse - so i figured that was where there was a broken wire. I cut and re-soldered but it was still finnicky, so i think it is probably a problem at the point of connection (hence the hard pull to make it work....) oh well......

Comment

yeah.. molex KK .1" spacing.. those *****es are hard to find. i finally ended up aquiring some through less than fully legitimate means. (dumpster diving)

Comment

Working...
                      X