RF Antenna question...can I?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RF Antenna question...can I?

I have a Gyration RF keyboard/mouse combo. I have put the reciever in the case of my htpc, but of course being inside a metal box is not all that great for range. I want to move the antenna outside, but I am not sure if I can extend it. It only has to go about an inch or so, but I would need it to be flexible, would simply using a short piece of 16ga silver braided wire (or possibley just silver braid even?) be "ok"? I am not sure about rf antennas and how they work, so I dont know if this will "detune" the antenna or not. It seems like the trade off would be better by doing this and moving the mast outside. (?)
    2005 Ford Focus ST

I had a similar problem, and ended up killing a wireless card that i now have to fix... aparently frequency is a function of antenna length... so no, i dont think you could do that. although i myself know nothing about RF.. my uncle taught me a little about this stuff yesterday.. i hope i helped.. EDIT oh yeah he did say that the length of an antenna is fairly flexible, you might be able to get another inch out of it, it will just drop the freq. a little. i guess your best bet is to just try it without doing anything permanent.

ray

Comment

Yea, I tried it yesterday...using 16ga silver strand wire I only had to go about 3/4" and it seems ok. I dont think the reciever likes being inside the box with all the "noise" though. Its a start
      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

cool, i'm glad it worked.

Comment

Working...
        X