shuttle PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shuttle PC

how many people use shuttle pc's or are interested in them...

for example, if i could get them cheaper than pretty much anywhere else would people be interested? comments please!

I don't know how good they would be for a car, from what I read on other computer boards, they overheat horribly as is, without cars adding environmental quirks.
    Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I am going to use one myself, Not a Shuttle but Biostar Ideq 200N.

I hope that by using the mobile version of AMD's XP-2500+ it should not be much of a concern for heat and with the added bonus that it uses less power (45 Watts for the mobile version compared to 68 Watts for the desktop version).

The way I look at it, the Small Form Factor PC (AKA Shuttle types) come in a decent case with motherboard, all the ports you wished for and can be used in homes or car if you so desire. For me the upfront cost is not much different then going with Via's ITX solutions once you factor the cost of the case.

Also, please note that I am going to install this in a Honda Odyssey which has plenty of room compared to a car.

Best regards

frenchnew

Originally posted by arkadiyp
      I don't know how good they would be for a car, from what I read on other computer boards, they overheat horribly as is, without cars adding environmental quirks.

Comment

Also I don't know about biostar, but shuttle I believe uses some weird proprietary motherboard, so forget about upgrading anything.
        Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by arkadiyp
          Also I don't know about biostar, but shuttle I believe uses some weird proprietary motherboard, so forget about upgrading anything.
          Most of these shuttle type pc use proprietary Motherboards as you stated.

But you can upgrade the graphic card (Some of them have the AGP slot) and some also have a PCI slot.

Talking about the ugrade ability, what do you think can be upgraded on a Via Epia? beside having a PCI slot, they do not offer an AGP slot.

So these 2 types are very similar as far as their upgrade ability with the exception that with the shuttle type you can upgrade the CPU if you did not opt for the fastest processor available, on the Epia those CPU are soldered.

Also, for me in Canada, the shuttle form factor as another positive, cost.

I have paid $340CDN for my Ideq200N (Case, Motherboard, PSU) while the Via Epia M10000 are $230CDN and the newer version -II is at $300 CDN.
          Add the cheapest case available and you tally up another $110CDN and I am not talking the best here as Casetronic's case hover around the $200 mark.

Even thought the Epia is pretty decent for car computer uses, I wanted to keep my option open with more processing power.

With that in mind, soe of the shuttle types are coming equipped with built-in Stereo FM Radio and TV-Tuners (Check out MSI Mega 180).

Also, for the heat aspect, AMD processors systems are equipped with shutdown features should the system overheat (You configure the setpoint in the Bios).

Best regards

frenchnew

Comment

I use a Shuttle SB61G2. No complaints, but one thing to look out for: USB bus stays powered after shutdown. See my post today on how to solve that so you don't drain your battery.

Comment

i have a Shuttle XPC sk41g in my car right now, i love it! well worth the money. i am using it with a power inverter - 150w, 1.6ghz AMD, 60gig hd, and slot load dvd.
              2004 F-150
              Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
              "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

I'm going to be using one of these.
                Radio and CD player works even when PC is off.

Relocate front panel to dash and put rest somewere else.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26806

Comment

ok don, we get it. you like the new MSI cube.
                  Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                  Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!
                  I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I use a shuttle and it's fine - only problem is that it's too big for most vehicles but if you have the space then they seem fine. The only complaint is that I can't get the BIOS (on my SS40) to recognise the AMD 2600+ (it calls it a 2000) but as the speed is more than adequate I'm not too bothered.

Also the onboard sound and video is perfectly adequate for a 7" touchscreen and car amplifier sound system.

Steve

RV : Samsung Q1 + Kyocera KR1 (EVDO) + GPS<br>
                    Car: AMD 3000+ Book PC + Lilliput 8" Touch + 13" TFT

Webmaster for the European Ford Scorpio Site

Comment

Frechnew you might want to check out www.sfftech.com forums about your 200n.. I have the 200v but I read a lot of people are having problems with the 200n.. Mainly seems to be with sound and video.

Also watch the Bio-Stars and heat. The are flat out a better built PC but the case is made to pull the heat off the CPU. Mine idles at 36deg on my desktop but ifI set it on my floor (carpet) is idles at 49degs. If you read up on how Bio-Star made the case you will understand why. I tell you this cause if you are planning on putting on in your van you might want to mount it on top of a piece of wood or something to keep some airflow under the case.

As for using a SFF for my Durango, even though I have the space I'm still going to run an EPIA. I want everything installed in my overhead and a SFF just isn't small enough.
                      www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

SteveC - The reason the CPU is reporting 2Ghz is because thats what it is, the 2.6 is the pentium equivelent value, not its true clock speed. Actually I thought a 2600 was actually 1900, but 2000 is close enough!
                        .//Daren
                        (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
                        MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

Comment

ok cool cool... i'll hopefully have some details up soon on some prices etc

Comment

I would be interested, but for my HTPC.
                            Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

distortion- What kind of prices could you get?
                              My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

Working...
                              X