1 serial port, 2 devices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 serial port, 2 devices

Howdy, I have a bit of a dilemma to ask you all about. I have an old Laptop (Fujitsu P120) that I am using with good success in my car. Very small, built in DC power supply, all the good stuff. My problem is that when I was planning to use a desktop for the project, I bought a Matrix Orbital Serial LCD display. I control my player with the IRman. The Laptop unfortunately has only one serial port. I don't want to toss the display because it is very nice and cost me $100. Is there any way to run two devices on the same serial port and virtualize the com port, or possible get the IRman to run on the PS/2 port? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Meatballman

check out www.mobileplanet.com as they sell PC Cards that allow you to add serial ports to your laptop.
    KG6OQD
    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Yeah, but they cost $139.95. I can buy a parallel LCD for less than that. I was hoping for a low cost solution like software or an adapter.

[This message has been edited by Meatballman (edited 04-14-2000).]

Comment

I'm pretty sure they sell parallel->serial converters.
        Check yer local computer store.

Comment

Sorry parallel->serial converters are not cheap its much more than just a physical difference the convert would be have to translate the 1 bit at a time of serial to 1 byte of parallel...abput your only option is to use a switch

Comment

They sell USB to serial adapters. Evation is also coming out with a USB version of the IRMan.

Comment

Which would be great if I had any usb ports....thanks anyway though

Comment

I had the same problem... one serial port that I wanted to hook two devices to, an LCD and a Remote. What I decided on instead, was using a gamepad device from microsoft which I dont really use to play any games with. Using some software you can grab off of Microsoft's site, you can add all sorts of key macros. That combined with a keyboad plugin, should work pretty well, and took no additional space because it pluged into the soundcard. This won't work though if your laptop doesn't have a gameport.
                GR1NCH
                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X