No announcement yet.

Sound Blaster MP3 USB the way to go...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Blaster MP3 USB the way to go...

I purchased a SB Mp3 usb soundcard for an alternative to my onboard sound.... (heard the hard drive clicking away)

WOW! What a difference.. The gold plated Line out provided better signal to noise than my 600 dollar Pioneer Headunit with 6 volt preamps.
    IT WAS ONLY 29.99 on ebay or 39.99 @ Best Buy..

I really like the graphic equalizer and throw in some Otpical in and outs its GREAT. MY XMPCR with toslink op out plugs right in.. Mp3's and XM are CRYSTAL CLEAR. No engine noise, no static, nothing but pure silence when muted, or when volume is at 0, the only noise is the noise you will get with a badly recorded mp3. I give it 2 thinms up for quality and price.

I noticed that it is the same size and design of the Audigy 2.. hmm mabye its the same thing minus the 5.1 sound processor? Could that be why its so good..
    -Jack
    2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
    Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

I second that. I love mine.
    2008 Ford Expedition EL Ltd

Carputer yanked from the Jeep and Denali and waiting to be installed in the Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazie2
      I purchased a SB Mp3 usb soundcard for an alternative to my onboard sound.... (heard the hard drive clicking away)

WOW! What a difference.. The gold plated Line out provided better signal to noise than my 600 dollar Pioneer Headunit with 6 volt preamps.
      IT WAS ONLY 29.99 on ebay or 39.99 @ Best Buy..

I really like the graphic equalizer and throw in some Otpical in and outs its GREAT. MY XMPCR with toslink op out plugs right in.. Mp3's and XM are CRYSTAL CLEAR. No engine noise, no static, nothing but pure silence when muted, or when volume is at 0, the only noise is the noise you will get with a badly recorded mp3. I give it 2 thinms up for quality and price.

I noticed that it is the same size and design of the Audigy 2.. hmm mabye its the same thing minus the 5.1 sound processor? Could that be why its so good..
      I bought this soundcard to use with my XMPCR optical output but I could not get the SB MP3 card to pass the optical audio to the analog output. The only way to listen to the XMPCR via optical was to record and playback, I finally returned the card to BestBuy. I verfied that the SB MP3 optical was for recording only via SB's website under the FAQs:
      http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=868,E=0000000000024637049,K=8267,Sxi=0,Case=ob j(11019)#q8

I have no sound while recording from SPDIF In with the USB Sound Blaster MP3+

The reason why you are not getting sound while recording from SPDIF In, is that the USB Sound Blaster MP3+ does not support SPDIF In or Line-In monitoring.

This means, you can only record the incoming SPDIF signal, however you cannot hear/playback the incoming SPIDIF signal at the same time.

Are you able to listen to optical audio without recording on the SB MP3?
      My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

I haven't plugged mine into the car yet, but I heard a faint Humming when plugged into the wall. You think maybe... bad USB cable. I dunno, if I remember it was periodic.
        My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
        2 Kicker Comp 10"
        Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
        Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
        Check it out?!

Comment

Periodic? Could be EM interference from something. Bad AC power in your house?

Comment

Possibly, as I recall when i hooked it up to my bro's mac, it ran fine.
            2 Kicker Comp 10"
            Check it out?!

Comment

You know, ill have to hceck.. my XM has both Analog and optical hooked up... LEt me try unplugging the analog and see if i get the sound through. However even if it is analog it still sounds 100% better with the SB mp3.
              -Jack
              2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
              Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazie2
                You know, ill have to hceck.. my XM has both Analog and optical hooked up... LEt me try unplugging the analog and see if i get the sound through. However even if it is analog it still sounds 100% better with the SB mp3.
                Anychance you could tell me if the soundcard works coming out of hibernation when you shutdown with a song playing? I don't want to buy another USB soundcard that won't work for me. The M-Audio Sonica wouldn't come out of hibernation. I've noticed that I get audio through the onboard soundcard before winxp resume fully-screen still black with bar at the bottom saying resuming from ...
                '03 Sierra Denali

Comment

DUnno, got it on my desktop now, listening throuhg headphones, sounds same as my SB Live! 5.1 PCI card.
                  2 Kicker Comp 10"
                  Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
                    The reason why you are not getting sound while recording from SPDIF In, is that the USB Sound Blaster MP3+ does not support SPDIF In or Line-In monitoring.
                    this is simply plain wrong. it's a limitation of the driver. works nicely in linux with Alsa
                    I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                    NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                    http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

Originally posted by sxpert
                      this is simply plain wrong. it's a limitation of the driver. works nicely in linux with Alsa
                      I should have been more clear, I was referring to the driver being the limitation....seeing that you can record and playback from the SPDIF in proves that the hardware is capable of passing the SPDIF audio to the analog output. In any case, the MP3+ with the bundled windows based software will not support SPDIF In playback to the analog output....nuf said!
                      My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
                        I should have been more clear, I was referring to the driver being the limitation....seeing that you can record and playback from the SPDIF in proves that the hardware is capable of passing the SPDIF audio to the analog output. In any case, the MP3+ with the bundled windows based software will not support SPDIF In playback to the analog output....nuf said!
                        Dang!!! thats exactly why I bought this card!! So does anyone know what USB card WILL pass optical SPDIF to the analog out? I don't have my XM-PCR yet so I can't test it. I guess I need to put my home DVD player in the truck, connect the optical cable and see what I get!
                        Randell Kelly

Comment

don't want to sound like a windows basher.... but, you get the idea
                          I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                          NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                          http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

I called SB and a tech told me that the MP3+ was basically a souped up SB16 and that I'd have to get the Audigy 2NS to get playthrough capability with Toslink to analog. However, if the XMpcr (or whatever device) is outputting AC3 or DTS encoding it must be disabled since the NS only accepts stereo digital input, and the NS would then do the encoding before passing it to the outputs. Although the two units look similar, there are many technical differences.
                            Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Comment

Originally posted by rgardjr
                              Anychance you could tell me if the soundcard works coming out of hibernation when you shutdown with a song playing? I don't want to buy another USB soundcard that won't work for me. The M-Audio Sonica wouldn't come out of hibernation. I've noticed that I get audio through the onboard soundcard before winxp resume fully-screen still black with bar at the bottom saying resuming from ...

Yea i would like to know that also....... Can anyone that has it tell me if with the SB mp3 soundcard when it comes out of hybernation will it still have power to it?
                              I dont want the computer to come back from hybernationg, and the soundcard not be working.

Any input?

But none of these use soundcards have rca outs? What do you do, go from the mini out on the soundcard to a mini adapter with rca outs?

What about this for going from a laptop to the car amp? I know its just 16bit, but will it sound as good as all those 16-bit SB soundcards?
                              Is this even the same thing as the usb soundcards but with rca outs or totally different.OR should i just go with the 24bit SB? Do we even need a 24bit, or will 16bit be just fine?

Comment

Working...
                              X