AT vs. ATX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT vs. ATX

Ok, I have been lurking around this site for awhile while I plan my car MP3 System. My question is what case/Mb cobo to use. I currently have an old 233 AT style case and MB lying around my house I can use or I can probably get a 333 PII ATX style case and MB from my work for free if I want. What would make the better platform?

What are you trying to do? This topic has been discussed many times. Try the search function in upper right. If you are trying to run MP3, DVD, GPS, and other programs then the atx setup would probably be better. The real advantage is the price difference between the commercial at and atx power supplies (the atx being almost twice as expensive). If you are planning to run an inverter in your car then this doesn't matter. Lots of factors to figure on.

Aaron, how shots is it for a setup question? LOL (Sorry, Lstrunk for the internet lingo, couldn't help it.)

Wow, I'm on a roll today. Happy Holidays!

Comment

Actually to me, the main thing (when talking about convenience and functionality) is the BIOS of the atx. If the bios has the availability of powering on after failure (meaning just plugging in the power would turn on the PC, no need for pushing a button), otherwise for the ATx you'll have to get nice special PIC-based circuits so you won't have the annoying task of deciding whether or not to push the button when you turn the car on.

I dunno. Just rambling.
      Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

Comment

Not to mention that ATX motherboards tend to be alot smaller in size, have up-to-date BIOS, and take DIMM RAM which is ALOT cheaper.
        http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
        Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

I'll throw my 2 cents into this one...Personally, I prefer AT. The power supply is cheap, the boards are cheap, and all related parts are cheap. Fast AMD processors that fit on AT boards are easy to find on eBay, and are more than capable of playing Divx or any other movie format. All modern AT boards have DIMM slots and accept PC133 RAM. Also, AT boards can be just as small as ATX as long as you buy the right form factor. Boards with integrated sound/video/lan/modem are very cheap, and a perfectly acceptable solution if all you want to do is play MP3s.

So my vote goes to AT for the sheer convenience factor. ATX has definite advantages such as the advanced power management. But overall, I think AT wins out. Your mileage may vary...
          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Think simple.

Systems with simple parts are less susceptible to failures.

If you want to play MP3 only, with no other more complex features (as auto turn off), use AT.

And (this is important) it is cheaper!
            []s, Daniel.
            P166, 16M RAM, 8.4HD, 40x2 LCD, custom fit keyboard, running
            MS-DOS/MPXPLAY and home made frontend.

Comment

Working...
            X