Need opinions on my proposed carPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on my proposed carPC

I have a 2002 Mercedes C230k hatchback with VERY little free room in it. I'd like to have MP3, XM, GPS capabilities for a start. I'm in the process of getting the following goodies and any suggestions or warnings are most appreciated!!!

Travia Mini-ITX C134 case 2"x8"x10"
    Opus PW-70a power supply w/ITPS
    Epia-M10000 Nehemiah motherboard
    Xenarc 7" Touchscreen 700TS
    XMpcr Toslink USB w/ Terk Mini-Antenna
    Soundblaster Audigy2 NX USB
    Garmin GPS16A receiver
    IGuidance GPS Software
    Power amplifiers (brand?) (probably in the doors)
    Diamond 6" speakers w/ Bazooka tube 10" sub.
    Cinemar Cruise Control software (user interface).
    Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Does not Travla C134 has DC-DC PSU inside alredy (PW60)?

Comment

Originally posted by mpattonm
      Does not Travla C134 has DC-DC PSU inside alredy (PW60)?

true that. you just need to get a 12V regulator with a barrel plug on it. Is that an opus or PW70 you are getting? you dont need the opus with the C134 power supply, just the itps for shutdown/startup. Of course you SHOULD get a real 12V regulator and bypass the linear regulation of the ITPS, since it has a voltage drop which will mean you need to have the car running to power the comp

as for your setup - X that bazooka tube and get a real subwoofer!

otherwise looks good. Are you gonna replace your HU with the carputer or have it as an AUX in? if you are making it an AUX in then you can scrap that audigy sound card and get a sound blaster MP3+, but if it is replacing your HU you will need the multi channel sound of the audigy......
      Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

you just need to get a 12V regulator with a barrel plug on it. Is that an opus or PW70 you are getting? you dont need the opus with the C134 power supply, just the itps for shutdown/startup. Of course you SHOULD get a real 12V regulator and bypass the linear regulation of the ITPS, since it has a voltage drop which will mean you need to have the car running to power the comp
        I guess it's not an Opus, just the PW70 on the mp3car store. Looks like the only thing Opus makes for the ITX is a complete workstation. What do you mean by a REAL 12V regulator? I'd need to have enough power to handle the ITX plus monitor and the usb stuff, would this do it?

as for your setup - X that bazooka tube and get a real subwoofer!
        I hear ya', but I'm REALLY cramped for space. Sometimes I need to carry passengers, and sometimes I need to carry cargo with the seats down. Thought that I could use the "tube" with a jack on it to switch it between the back cargo area and the rear passenger floor area if there was no one in the back seat. Are the tubes really that bad?

Are you gonna replace your HU with the carputer or have it as an AUX in? if you are making it an AUX in then you can scrap that audigy sound card and get a sound blaster MP3+, but if it is replacing your HU you will need the multi channel sound of the audigy......
        Will replace the crappy HU entirely with just power amps. A SB rep told me the MP3+ won't play input from the Toslink jack (XMpcr) so I'd need the Audigy.
        Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Comment

Originally posted by wysocki
          I guess it's not an Opus, just the PW70 on the mp3car store. Looks like the only thing Opus makes for the ITX is a complete workstation.
          What?
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

wysocki, I have the same problem I dive an impreza wagon. I can't put the PC in the back because that would ruin the whole point have me getting the wagon (being able to lug around my guitar amp and camping supplies).

I elected to put the PC under my drivers seat since its height can't be adjusted.

Comment

Way are you geting that lcd you can get the lilliput for a lot less.
              If you get the Xenarc get the new one with the x-bright. if you get the olg one then just go for the lilliput I have one and love it I uped the RGB on the computer and I can see it fibe in the day time
              BEST Deal
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...091684733&rd=1
              price $245 this is the cheap shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by j81bird
                Way are you geting that lcd you can get the lilliput for a lot less.
                If you get the Xenarc get the new one with the x-bright. if you get the olg one then just go for the lilliput I have one and love it I uped the RGB on the computer and I can see it fibe in the day time
                BEST Deal
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...091684733&rd=1
                price $245 this is the cheap shipping.
                j81, are you on commision with Lilliput, the e-bay seller or are you just on steroids tonight?? This is about the 10th post I've read...
                Laidback

Comment

I just got mine form him, and I thot it would be nice to share GOOD INFO with you. Sorry.
                  I saw this and got HAPPY almost ****ed my pants. LOL
                  the price is so good.

"No I do not sell or work for lilliput" LOL
                  I have been making a carputer for like 3 months but never got a screen I got the pyle 7 inch. WOW THAT WAS CRAP. like a PYLE OF CRAP. Then I when on ebay and was looking for a good deal whan I saw this I had to have it. I was also suprised that it is less money then this sites.
                  lots less.

Comment

Originally posted by j81bird
                    I just got mine form him, and I thot it would be nice to share GOOD INFO with you. Sorry.
                    I saw this and got HAPPY almost ****ed my pants. LOL
                    the price is so good.

"No I do not sell or work for lilliput" LOL
                    I have been making a carputer for like 3 months but never got a screen I got the pyle 7 inch. WOW THAT WAS CRAP. like a PYLE OF CRAP. Then I when on ebay and was looking for a good deal whan I saw this I had to have it. I was also suprised that it is less money then this sites.
                    lots less.
                    No problem, I'm a happy Lilliputter too!
                    Laidback

Comment

wysocki:

Like laidback said about the opus: What?
                      The Opus is a fully functional power supply and shutdown/startup reguator.

When I said a "real" 12V regulator I meant not the ITPS which is a linear regulator with a nasty voltage drop and thus is prone to the problems i talked about earlier.

As for your tube: i never had one, but i have a freind who had one and blew it on the first day. Is there any way to fiberglass an enclosure for a real subwoofer into the side of the trunk? or maybe forget the sub and spend the extra money on your rear fills? Sounds like you're not an audiophine anyway....

Just some thoughts.

Comment

Like laidback said about the opus: What?
                        The Opus is a fully functional power supply and shutdown/startup reguator.
                        Well, I hope Opus put better quality in their products than their website. All I see at opussolutions.com is a 150w ATX unit. Others I've seen at mp3car store are for ATX also.

When I said a "real" 12V regulator I meant not the ITPS which is a linear regulator with a nasty voltage drop and thus is prone to the problems i talked about earlier.
                        Can you be more specific or recommend one?

As for your tube: i never had one, but i have a freind who had one and blew it on the first day. Is there any way to fiberglass an enclosure for a real subwoofer into the side of the trunk? or maybe forget the sub and spend the extra money on your rear fills? Sounds like you're not an audiophine anyway....
                        I'd like to be! I have about $10k invested in my HT (so the problem is not the cost) but I just don't have the room in this ride. Like "ghost" says, I don't want to take up cargo room with a huge speaker box (and I only have 1.5" under the seat. Car audio shops that I've visited look at it and scratch their heads.

Comment

Opus is apparently the best (i have never had one but do a quick search ), but i know what you mean about the website

well if you are using the C134 case you can use any of those DC-DC laptop power supplies for the car (check ebay or radioshack). Just hardwire it. Search the forum for Mike H, his sig has a link to his site and he did this (well) and you will know what i mean on the website. Also, search "12 volt regulator" on here and start sifting, im sure there are threads out there.

Maybe you can take some pics of your trunk and post em so we can help with some conceptual ideas about something other than the tube? Otherwise its gonna be hard

hope that helps.....

Comment

Working...
                          X