Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second car battery?

Hi all,

I want to put a second card battery in my car so that they car PC can run longer while the car is off. I have problems with dead batteries often.

Would it be possible to just grab another battery and hook it up to the first battery in parrallel? As I understand it the voltage stays the same at parrallel and it raises in serial. Is this right or am I way off? Would the alternator be able to charge two batteries?

Anyone does this before? Tips? advice? Pics?

Thanks

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
    Car PC v3 - 2008
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

[||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

Originally posted by JayKaye
    Hi all,

I want to put a second card battery in my car so that they car PC can run longer while the car is off. I have problems with dead batteries often.
    It is possible that you have bigger problems with your car than just battery, since you say they run down often. Did you check if your alternator is working properly and your battery is charging fine?
    Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Me too

This is a must for me as I have a tiny 12v as stock and with the amps playing my fuel pump doesnt even get its full share and that is leading to a lean out condition in the motor......which is bad, I need advise how to do it and would it be better to ocnvert to one bigger battery maybe located in the boot, I htink that would be cost effective, as there is no way to fit a bigger battery in the engine compartment, I have heard of regulators and switch boxes that do the load balancing between two batteries, but have yet to find a good tutorial or step by step, I am also keen on info and the pros and cons of one BIG battery as opposed to two smaller ones ?

Help

and glad to know i am not the only one out there with this question

Cheers
      Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

Two with an isolator is what I chose. The isolator will keep all the stuff on the second battery from stealing power from your main car battery. Then as soon as you hit the ignition the isolator connects the two batteries together so you alternator can charge both.

Second battery should be a deep cycle, probably gel battery. I use a yellow top Optima.
        Car: 2006 Scion tC (Buying)
        CPU: AOpen Pandora/1.5 Cel M/1GB DDR2/Ipod Vid
        Screen: Lilliput 7"
        Power: Carnetix 1900
        GPS: Deluo GPS
        Software: nLiteXP, RR, IG, PhoCo
        XM: XM Direct
        http://www.chrispuckett.com/mp3car/

Comment

Thanks for the info, any links, pictures, manufacturers urls etc, pretty please
          Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

Originally posted by arkadiyp
            It is possible that you have bigger problems with your car than just battery, since you say they run down often. Did you check if your alternator is working properly and your battery is charging fine?
            My alternator is fine and the battery is fine. I have setup the CarPC in such a way that it can stay on while ignition is off along with the 2 amps powering the speakers and the subs. As you can imagine this can such much of the juice within an hour or two.

Nobias mentioned 2 batteries with an isolator. Im not too electrical savvy, but would it be possible to have a relay switch instead of an isolator where in the ignition OFF position the backup battery is seperate from the main battery (with the CARPC running off the backup battery), if the backup dies, so be it. When ignition is switched on the relay restores the connection between the backup battery and the main battery thus allowing the alternator to charge both?

My initial question still remains unanswered though, would I need to wire up the two batteries in parallel or serial? would the voltage double (to 24v) if I do it in serial? do i need any special regulators to do this?

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
            Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
            Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

you need a reply and a second sealed battery but these batteries cots 200 or $300, use nothing less, any descent car audio shop will show you have to go about it.

Comment

The way I understand the isolator is a relay...just a big one. My friend and I put two stinger dry cell batteries (800 front and 1000 back) in his 91 Z. We hooked the front one up regularly then ran 0 guage from the pos post of front to fuse to isolator (stinger brand and needs to be hooked into the on to know when to close the circuit) then ran that all the way to the back to fuse then pos side of back battery. Ground both and presto...no probs whatsoever. He can run for hours off that back battery with Phoenix Gold Titanium 600 watt amp and PG T 12" sub. All run at 13.6 volts even with car off (fuse block in back has lcd voltmeter built in)
                This setup allows for the key to be in acc and amp only runs off back battery when it is in on - whether the car is started or not - it takes from both batteries

Comment

ok great, thanks guys
                  ill be heading down to one of Sydneys biggest car audio stores today (Strathfield Car Radios, for those who know) and get more info on this. Ill post what I learn.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                  Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                  Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

what i have in my car is a Stinger isolater/relay.. redtop optima.. the stinger
                    only charges the 2nd battery when the first main battery is fully charged.. therfore,,, no stress on the alternator trying to charge both batteries at once.. this can kill an alternator if its too small or weak..

Comment

Originally posted by JayKaye
                      Hi all,

Would it be possible to just grab another battery and hook it up to the first battery in parrallel? As I understand it the voltage stays the same at parrallel and it raises in serial. Is this right or am I way off? Would the alternator be able to charge two batteries?

Anyone does this before? Tips? advice? Pics?

Thanks

Comment

The best way to install a two battery system is to use a high output alternator 140amp. and a battery isolator made by Hellroaring Technologies. This is the system I am using in my van. it works....

Comment

you may want to replace your original battery too. non-deep cycle batteries (such as almost all car batteries) are damaged by being depleted more than 75%. If your battery has died many times, you likely have lost half your acapacity
                          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

IF you want to use a two battery system do the right way use a high end battery isolator this will allow both batteries to charge when the engine is running.When the engine is off there is no connection between the batteries, so one of the batteries would be for all loads like PC, Radio Ect. and the other battery is for starting only.Along with this set up you need a high output alternator, a 140 amp. will do good.The best isolator that is made is the Hellroaring Technologies inc."www.HELLROARING.COM.
                            THIS IS THE BATTERY SYSTEM I AM USING IN MY VAN FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS, THIS SYSTEM WORKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X