Two IDE HDD on epia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two IDE HDD on epia?

I was thinking using a CF to IDE adapter to store my operating system for the car and using another 20 GB HDD just for mp3s. This may be a bit noob but, would the epia board detect the two drives if they were plugged to the same ide cable or would I need an extra pci ide controller?

I've used two hard drive (1 master and 1 slave) on the EPIA-M board without any problems. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
    Phillip Hullquist

I entertain people through adventure movies.
    www.11visions.com

Comment

Thanks, just did not want to invest into a cf to ide card if it would not work. I'm gonna use a EPIA-V by the way. Must be the same ide controller as the M series...

Comment

jplev22, what OS are you running on the CF? From what I've read, CF doesn't hold up long when used like this because of the read and WRITES (really the writes) to it. Are you running an embedded OS?

Comment

Yes, I will an embeded linux system. The embeded kernel I compiled was barely 400 KB. I will run irmp3. I estimate that the total system will be under 10 MB. I can't wait to see how fast it will boot. I believe I will not have anything being writen to the CF during normal operations except for the logs when it boots so I guess it should hold up.

Comment

You could make a very small partition on the HDD for log files and set everything on the CF as read-only.

Sorry if this sound ignorant, but...what's irmp3? What will you use for navigation? I haven't seen any linux ones that can even come near the windows versions yet...

Comment

ya the CF will not be too usable when ya start gettin near it's maximum of 100,000 writes. the reads don't matter though, ya can do infinite of those. w/ 100,000 writes and all u'll be doin is writing logs 2 the thing each time it boots, ur CF'll outlast the rest of the computer. w/ ur drives u'll hafta have the CF set to master and the harddrive set to slave. that way the epia won't have any trouble detecting what's plugged in.
              National Geode 233 MMX, Homemade 5V/12V DC-DC Converter, 6.5" TFT LCD w/ Touchscreen, Motorola Oncore GT+ GPS w/ Routis, Netgear 802.11 w/ External Antenna, IBM Travelstar 10gig HD, Homemade Serial Infrared receiver, Homemade Small Serial Trackball

Comment

Yep that's what I'll do. Should last a couple years at least.
                jmbickham, I'm actualy only doing an mp3 jukebox right now, I don't have enough money for a gps or even a touchscreen. I'll be using a 4x20 character display and a universal remote to controll the system. IRMP3 is just a daemon (program) to get ir signal from lirc and display all the info to the character lcd with lcdproc. Check it out: http://irmp3.sourceforge.net/ I beleive It is somewhat similar to the winamp character lcd plugin but I don't think winamp has IR cababilities. If it does it would take an eternity to boot anyways. By the way, did you see the project at www.dashpc.com? I did not see windows applications do as well yet...

Comment

Originally posted by jplev22
                  Yep that's what I'll do. Should last a couple years at least.
                  jmbickham, I'm actualy only doing an mp3 jukebox right now, I don't have enough money for a gps or even a touchscreen. I'll be using a 4x20 character display and a universal remote to controll the system. IRMP3 is just a daemon (program) to get ir signal from lirc and display all the info to the character lcd with lcdproc. Check it out: http://irmp3.sourceforge.net/ I beleive It is somewhat similar to the winamp character lcd plugin but I don't think winamp has IR cababilities. If it does it would take an eternity to boot anyways. By the way, did you see the project at www.dashpc.com? I did not see windows applications do as well yet...
                  I've actually looked at dashpc. It IS nice, but... there are no good GPS in linux. What's there can't compare to the commercial windows version ones.

As far as windows boot times... if you think of the box as more like a windows CE machine... purpose built. I wonder how stable you could make a stripped down win98/me? Just leave only what's needed to run what hardware and software you have. It would certainly be faster than win2k or winxp...

Comment

but its the way windows handles the file system that will kill the drive, stupid virtual memory

Comment

Or some wonderful person could port Destinator2 or some other good GPS software to linux. I may not mind making the switch then..

Comment

I don't think it would take much effort from the company itself but I don't think it would be possible to port it without access to source codes. If enough people write to the company who make Destinator2 they migh feel its rentable to port it.

Comment

if ya wanna try 2 get windows programs workin in linux, try using winex. it's not what you would call free, but i have several versions of it if u'd like to try. this is used mostly for gaming so who knows what'll happen when u run destinator on it. i've run quake 3 from it, and used the windows cds (winex makes the program think it's installing on a windows machine) and it worked well. so ya could give that a try and hope for the best
                          National Geode 233 MMX, Homemade 5V/12V DC-DC Converter, 6.5" TFT LCD w/ Touchscreen, Motorola Oncore GT+ GPS w/ Routis, Netgear 802.11 w/ External Antenna, IBM Travelstar 10gig HD, Homemade Serial Infrared receiver, Homemade Small Serial Trackball

Comment

It probably would work, even tho normal wine might be better for the job. I found using wine and winex a pain in the @$$ , extremmmly slooowwww, and sometimes unstable. There ara a couple of games like UT2003, Medal of Honor and Q3 too I think that can be run native with a special installer. So much faster and stable. You should check it out. Of course running programs with wine probably the best solution for running GPS progams in linux but I wonder if it would be possible to detect the GPS device? Probably easyer for the GPS users to stick with windows for now if they want a complex program like Destinator 2. I looked at GpsDrive for the heck of it, it does look alright, what's missing in that program? I don't know much about road GPS so pardon me if it sound ignorant, I actualy never saw such a program in action.
                            By the way, might be gettin a bit off topic... Oh yeah, Would Epia-V also support 2 IDE drives? hehe

Comment

Yes. It will support 2 drives. Just set them both to CS or order them.
                              "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b@$#*??!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X