DVD requirements...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD requirements...

Does anyone know if This DVD Player would have any problems running on a PI 266? Lots of RAM...not a problem in that department...

TIA
    ~m
    PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
    Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
    BC ROCKS!!!

Oops - Shoulda' read PII, not PI ...
    ~m
    PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
    Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
    BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

Only way you'd ever get DVD working on a 266 is with a hardware decoder card. Decent DVD playback in software will need at least a 400+ mhz machine.

I don't know if the link was for a hardware decoder, though, cause it wouldn't show up
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

Thanks, Arby - I'll ask my supplier.
        ~m
        BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

I think a pII 266 will handle dvd if you have an ATI graphics card. ATI cards support iDCT decoding in addition to Motion Compensation so the load on the processor is very small. I think I had between 5 and 10% processor usage on a k6-2 400.
          Got started with computers on this board early in high school...now I run a web development company and am about to build my dream machine.

Comment

I've got a PII 300mhz, and it runs POWERDVD software decoding... sometimes can get a 'lil jumpy but mostly perfect!

Comment

Thanks, everyone I think I'll pick one up and tryi ti out with my ATI card (thanks for the tip, Dartman111). I can pick one up from my wholesaler fro $75 Canadian, so it's not a HUGE gamble. That works out to what? $8.47 US???

~m
              BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

Since you have an ATI card i suggest using the cinemaster decoder and player. It is the only one that will use the optimizations for an ATI card. Check out www.digital-digest.com for the software and get dvd genie so you can zoom and mess with the optimization settings.
                Got started with computers on this board early in high school...now I run a web development company and am about to build my dream machine.

Comment

Originally posted by chipmunk:
                  <STRONG>I've got a PII 300mhz, and it runs POWERDVD software decoding... sometimes can get a 'lil jumpy but mostly perfect!</STRONG>
                  What vid card? and also which OS?
                  I didn't get my PIII 600Mhz 128MB RAM to do decent software decoding under with PowerDVD (nor the Windows own). My card is a no name TNT2 32MB, but seems taht it does no more good than a ISA Trident VGA...

Comment

Try getting DVD Genie, It has many options that might speed up the decoding.

Comment

I have a PII 266 and run DVD with software decoder. Works fine. Just make sure you keep your systray clean.
                      My Install Thread
                      digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                      How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Working...
                      X