Does Soundcard Make a Difference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Soundcard Make a Difference?

I'm using an old Soundblaster Pro 16 bit soundcard in the computer I'm piecing together for my car. Does anyone know if I would get substantially higher sound quality using a newer, better card?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I have one question for you,
    How good is the output?
    If it is good, then your ok,
    but if you get a lot of garbage, easly,
    like on a in mobo soundcard, then
    down the bucks for a better one.

Comment

This seams like a no brainier to me... I would suggest that you give your old sound card a try and if the output is of lower quality trash the card for a new one...

lov ya,
      _lina

lov ya,
      lina

Comment

Avoid any Creative Labs Soundblaster at all costs. The only one that sounds good is the SB Live, and they're overpriced. I'd get a Yamaha if I were you.

Comment

Lifter: you are saying NOT to use soundblaster?. If memory serves my right, creative lab started these sound stuff for computer. I seriously doubt that yamaha you are using is even close to the same level with all creative lab sound cards.

abcd-1
          abcd-1
          Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
          You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I pick up soundplaster lives for $35 dollars thats hardly over priced!

Comment

If space is an issue than you're pretty much stuck with some kind of onboard audio, which is usually either yamaha or SB. Not sure which is better, but I'm looking for a mobo with onboard audio and knowing the difference would sure help me out.
              www.geocities.com/blkdragon6

Comment

mrhic, how do you pick up "soundplaster lives" for 35 bucks? ebay or something?

Comment

If you need to buy a new card, goto www.cponly.com and click on "Sound Card"
                  There you'll find the best soundcards for cheep. But DON'T call the company, or they'll jack up the price at least $10! I have both the SB: Live! (Platnum) and the Dimond MX300, they are both REALY good cards, so eather should do you fine, but to be honest you could get away with a cheep card, so long as it didn't give off noise, cus all your realy doing is playing a wav. file.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I borrowed a new sound card from a neighbor and the difference was tremendous. I think I'll see if I can find one of those SB Lives for $35. I saw one at a computer store yesterday for $115 - ouch!!

Comment

The card I borrowed from my friend was a SoundBlaster PCI Ensoniq. It sounds great. I went to the site mentioned in the earlier post and found the card for $23.99. Was just about to pull the trigger when I saw they wanted $10.50 for shipping. Ouch! I think I'll see if I can find it locally.

Comment

Working...
                      X