No announcement yet.

Need a short dvd drive

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a short dvd drive

I'm putting my system together and I found out the hard way that I can't fit a PCI card and a cdrom drive in my case at the same time.

It's a great case

The drive seems to be approx 1" too long. It's a samsung combo drive, so it's about 7.25" (180mm) long. I could just remove the front of the case and let it hang out, but that's just a smidgen too ghetto for me. I searched google for a shorter drive, and 170 seems to be as short as they come.

Any ideas??

try get on of those cable based pci risers, should give you some flexibility to move stuff around
    Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Another option would be to use a laptop dvd drive with an ide adapter. They are generally about 1/2" wider and deeper than a cd/dvd.
      "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b@$#*??!!"

I just bought a Lite-On DVD±RW (SOHW-812S). It is a fair amount shorter than the CD-RW drive that it replaced. I don't think it was an inch shorter though.

Check the Lite-On site for the specs. If it looks like it will be close, I can measure mine for you.