Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problem with my usb to ide cable. high speed usb drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with my usb to ide cable. high speed usb drive?

i got my full size dvd rom plugged in and powered up finally and after i put a disc in it showed up but after trying to load it, my dvd rom just kept loading.... then i got and error that said, high speed usb device plugged into a non high speed usb port. What do i do to fix this?

It will do that if your motherboard doesnt support USB2.0. Might want to get a USB2.0 card. I would usually say to just find a way of getting rid of the error, but I think in this case the USB2.0 is important. See how it works as a 1.1 and if it is ok, you might be good to go. In that case, You could try disabling error detection in the properties of the USB controller. It's in the Advanced tab > Don't tell me about USB errors.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

yeah ether its your port is 1.1 not 2.0 or your useing a hub thats only 1.1
      Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Comment

as i posted the first time, it will not play the dvd/cd, it just keeps trying to load it. I have 2 high speed ports in the back they are plugged into the m10000 which i believe only supports usb1.1. i take it i need something like this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...481004428&rd=1

Comment

Actually I am pretty sure all m10000 boards have 2.0, so it may be that because of the length of the cable it is making it think it is 1.1? Can you try a short cable or plug it directly in and see if the error comes up?
          2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Update Your Drivers
            Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

im guessing the drivers are on the motherboard cd. if not where are they at?
              also if they are on a cd, how am i supposed to get them to the pc considering i need to update the drivers to get the drive itsself to work...

Comment

When you installed windows (if that what you are running) did you do all your updates? Maybe you have it on the disk, but a lot of times you need SP1 to make the 2.0 work. It does sound like a driver issue..and i understand that you cant access a cdrom, but do you have a usb thumbdrive or some other way of connecting to update drivers and such?
                2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

i just tried the m10000 disc and it got far enough reading it for my to know its not on that disc. when i put in the windows install disc and update the drivers, wont i need to connect to the internet for service pack 1?

Comment

k, i can do it with the via cd but basically i need to connect to the internet and get usb 2.0 to work so i can get my cd working, jsut to install my bluetooth drivers to connect to the internet...

is there any way i can get the update on file and burn it to disc so i can install it without connecting to the internet?

Comment

alright, im in my car now and i decided to get out the 50 ft cat5e cable and hook it to my router do it that way. this way i can install my bluetooth drivers as well. right now im installing the service pack 1 from microsoft. after that , usb 2.0 should work correct?

Comment

Get USB2 drivers form VIA

Originally posted by DSM97RS
                        alright, im in my car now and i decided to get out the 50 ft cat5e cable and hook it to my router do it that way. this way i can install my bluetooth drivers as well. right now im installing the service pack 1 from microsoft. after that , usb 2.0 should work correct?
                        You need to get this USB 2.o drivers from VIA Those are for the EPIA-M, I don't know if they would be different for other boards (like the TC, MII)
                        '96 Chevy Cavalier - EPIA M10000, Win2K,MediaCar, Deluo GPS Mouse with Routis, 60GB external HD, 7" widescreen monitor from DigitalWW.

'00 Jeep Wrangler - planning stage

What can BROWN do for you?

Comment

thats what i was trying to get from the beginning, thanks

Comment

i tried installing the drivers you gave me through that link and all i get is errors saying that i need to connect to windows website and download service pack 1. this was the problem before. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET THE DRIVERS INSTALLED WITHOUT SERVICE PACK 1?

Comment

as I understand it...no. My understanding is that SP1 is required for 2.0. I dont think you absolutely need the Via drivers once SP1 is there, it should be all good.

BTW.....a thumbdrive would have probably been easier in the long run if you have one or could borrow one I already have my 3gb laptop hard drive in a cheapo enclosure for just that purpose.

EDIT: update, from Via's website:

"Due to licensing agreement, VIA USB2 driver package requires Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1), Windows 2000 SP4, or system upgrade through Windows Update. Alternatively, please contact your motherboard manufacturer or the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 PCI card if you have misplace their driver CD. The VIA USB2 driver package can be installed after Microsoft driver to further improve device compatibility."

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298#windows2
                              2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Working...
                              X