Harddrive mounting idea..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harddrive mounting idea..

I have attached an image of my harddrive mounting idea to help reduce shock. Comments?
    Attached Files
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Looks creative, but something like that might be more risk to your hard drive than normal shock. Not sure though, but I think i a lot of people get by without shock protection.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Comment

Here's my idea...
      Attached Files
      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

The springs will make the shock worse. However, replace the the springs with rubber or a dense foam then they would act as dampers to reduce shock and vibration.
        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

however you mount it, it cannot have a hard end of travel stop. Move the drive in all directions, if it hits a hard stop it's no good. The screws will slap around in the holes causing shock worse than the original acceleration.
          Chris Krug
          owner, turbine minivan
          http://www.youtube.com/krugtech

Comment

Originally posted by pip
            The springs will make the shock worse. However, replace the the springs with rubber or a dense foam then they would act as dampers to reduce shock and vibration.
            Exactly what I did. Been fine for nearly 5 years.
            Old Systems retired due to new car
            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

the slapping of the spring will depend on the spring rates of the springs
              If I use really stiff springs with rubber bumpers, there will be no "Slapping".
              2011 Nissan Frontier SL
              OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

That plate with the holes in it that heve the springs on either side- What happens when the screws start banging the sides of the holes? You can't make the holes too small or it will bind, so there will be play. I vote for the foam too.
                Chris Krug
                owner, turbine minivan

Comment

u guys using foam dont worry about heat issues?
                  2011 Nissan Frontier SL

Comment

As long as you only use small rubber/foam pads and don't encase the drive there shouldn't be a problem. Encasing it in foam/rubber would kill the drive rather quickly.
                    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

You shouldn't need either foam or springs - just solidly mount the case and drive so they don't bounce around and as long as your car suspension is not rock hard then it will be fine.

Steve

RV : Samsung Q1 + Kyocera KR1 (EVDO) + GPS<br>
                      Car: AMD 3000+ Book PC + Lilliput 8" Touch + 13" TFT

Webmaster for the European Ford Scorpio Site

Comment

You could just get one of these.... http://www.siliconacoustics.com/novibes3.html

Comment

In my initial install I used little rubber grommets on the screws (screwed into the mounting holes on the bottom of the drive) and kept the screws reasonably loose so the rubber was holding the drive up. Worked fine.

Though in my new case, the drive sits in its own little removable caddy with no shock protection. No issues.
                          89 Celica, CarPC installed, 1st bday :)
                          http://www.fishy.net.nz/carpc/
                          • MediaEngine
                          • Epia V8000
                          • 80GB WD 7200RPM HD
                          • Xenarc 700TS
                          • SB Live
                          • Opus 90W
                          • CIMR100 remote
                          • Deluo serial GPS
                          • D-Link USB radio wired to power antenna

Comment

yeah its no problem really most drives can take shocks of a g or two already. Mount it securely and don't worry about it. If your loosely mounted then your more apt to a serious shock.

Comment

You could just get one of these.... http://www.siliconacoustics.com/novibes3.html
                              I donno about that one, it's made to dampen vibration, not provide shock protection/suspension.

My car has a hard *** ride, I'm mounting the hard drive on some foam, then I'm using an IDE cable that has the extra bar on top of the connector. I'm going to have the cables go to the drive with a nice gentile s curve in the cables so movement wont fatigue the wires. Just enough foam to take the edge off the vibration and bumps.
                              Chris Krug
                              owner, turbine minivan

Comment

Working...
                              X