Sound Blaster External USB Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Blaster External USB Question

Question for everyone out there. I have my carputer completely installed, and of course I am looking to perfect the sound. I have read up on Sound Blasters MP3 external USB card. I have heard many good things... now for my question. The Card will plug into the computer and generate sound from that avenue. However, the SB USB card has RCA input - can I plug the head units RCA cables in to the sound card ? Here is a photo of what I am talking about.

Thank you for all of your help so far! I will have photos in a few weeks!!!
    2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
    STOLEN - M10000, 512MB, 60GB 2.5" HDD, 7" Custom mounted Lilliput, Morex 3688 Case, 90W PSU w/ ITPS, GPS & CD-RW/DVD. New parts ordered for the next generation!

Yes
    2004 4runner

Comment

that was an inapropriately short answer. yes, you can plug anything in that fits.

Which RCA inputs/outputs? Does your head unit have preamp in/out? if so, and this is what your speaking of, I believe it will work. Depending on the manufacturer/etc, it might not though. Some times the rca connections on head units are not line level.
      car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

@robiewp: The question was
        The SB USB card has RCA input. can I plug the head units RCA cables in to the sound card?
        The appropriate answer was the one I gave. Simply, "Yes."

I'm sure nirvanades appreciated your more verbose answer to a different question. As follow-up to the question you answered, nirvanades should also know that speaker-level to line-level (RCA) converters exist and are common enough that you can find them anywhere that does car stereo installations.
        2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
          @robiewp: The question was The appropriate answer was the one I gave. Simply, "Yes."

I'm sure nirvanades appreciated your more verbose answer to a different question. As follow-up to the question you answered, nirvanades should also know that line-level to RCA converters exist and are common enough that you can find them anywhere that does car stereo installations.
          Yeah he was just asking "Can i", so "yes" is an appropriate answer.

-Jason

Comment

To Follow up... Thanks. I hope that fulfills the required response !
            2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
            STOLEN - M10000, 512MB, 60GB 2.5" HDD, 7" Custom mounted Lilliput, Morex 3688 Case, 90W PSU w/ ITPS, GPS & CD-RW/DVD. New parts ordered for the next generation!

Comment

Oh yeah, I did buy the MP3 external USB - I HIGHLY - HIGHLY - HIGHLY!!! Recommend it... For $40 - it plugs right into the amps and the sound is unbelievable !
              2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Comment

Does the SB do DTS out using the optical outputs?

Comment

I thought the question was ambigious, but then again trying to work with the hicks in northern maine probably blinds me to allusions. "RCA cables" does not give us any information about what is on the RCA cables. input? output? low level? This was my concern. I didn't want to tell somebody they could go out to their car, right now, if they only have the little bit of information they have just given us in their head, and succesfully hook things up.

sorry if i underestimated you nirv, and wasted those valueable KBs.

Rob
                  car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

2004 4runner

Comment

You seem knowledgeable. Can the mp3+ be used to listen to streamed audio if hooked up to the Internet? Others also invited to respond!

Thanks,
                      rudy

Comment

Let's see. The thread is over 2 years olf, the people the originally responded may not even be members anymore, and your question is not related to the original question.

On top of all that, your question was ambigious.

Do you mean, "Can the Sound Blaster external card be used to listen to streamed audio if hooked up to the internet"

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that the Sound Blaster external card doesn't care what the sound source is, it is used to convert computer audio into speaker signals. So, if you use some program (Windws Media Player, etc..) to listen to streamed audio from the internet, the SB external card will indeed convert it to speaker signals, and then you can listen to it, provided you have compatible speakers.

However, you have the problem of how you are going to get a reliable higher bandwidth internet connection to your carPC, along with other problems.

You may want to research this CarPC thing a bit more before you go off and ask random questions.

Dave
                        2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                        Core Duo CarPC
                        CarDomain page

Comment

It's 'ambiguous', not 'ambigious'. Seems that this anomalous spelling is endemic to this thread & site - see 'robiewp' above.

Nonetheless, I thank you for your answer. I don't intend to use the unit in a car, just within my home wi-fi network, hooked up to my stereo.

If this group is reserved for car nuts, then I apologize for the intrusion.

Comment

Grow up rdankwort.
                            Firstly, bad spelling is common on any forum I've ever been on because people are just putting down their thoughts quickly and can't be bothered to spell check. No one cares as long as you can tell what the word is meant to be!
                            Do you stop people in the street when they pronounce words slightly incorrectly? I doubt it, it's just rude (like your name suggests).
                            Secondly, if you don't want to build a CarPC, why are you even here?
                            Finally, you need to learn about sound cards because your question shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what they actually do.
                            VIA M10000
                            512Mb RAM
                            30Gb 2.5" HDD
                            Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                            Silverstone USB DAC
                            Consult (ODB)
                            CarTFT K500
                            Carnetix P1290
                            NLited XP with Road Runner and MapMonkey

Comment

Originally posted by rdankwort
                              It's 'ambiguous', not 'ambigious'. Seems that this anomalous spelling is endemic to this thread & site - see 'robiewp' above.

Nonetheless, I thank you for your answer. I don't intend to use the unit in a car, just within my home wi-fi network, hooked up to my stereo.

If this group is reserved for car nuts, then I apologize for the intrusion.
                              Well, spelling is important, as is a lack of it, and while rampant errors throughout a post would suggest that the poster really doesn't care about what he is saying, a single, minor spelling mistake is generally disregarded by most folk. Apparently, though, you are a stickler for spelling, although proper grammar and puncuation aren't quite as important, it appears.

Regardless, if you think poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation are limited to this site, you have obviously had very limited exposure to the internet, since the problem is widespread throughout the entire internet. I, too, generally disregard a poster when it is clear that he has no concept of spelling, and especially when one uses numbers as substitutes for letters and words, "leet speak" as it were. However, I usually give the poster the benefit of the doubt when he is trying to help.

Now, this fourm is not limited to CarPC's, but it is assumed , unless stated otherwise, that it is for use in a CarPC. You did not bother to state otherwise, so I assumed (and made an *** out of you and me, as the saying goes) that this was for use in your CarPC project. Now, in the future, I recommend you state your request more clearly, and maybe pay a little less attention to the spelling, and more to the content.

Dave
                              2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                              Core Duo CarPC
                              CarDomain page

Comment

Working...
                              X