Hard drives in cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drives in cars

Has anyone had any problems with drives crashing in car mp3 players. I want to know if I need to take extra care over moutning the drive to protect it from shock

I have a 1.4Gig laptop drive. What I did was to attach a static bag w/ double tape to my player and place my HD vertically in the bag. This way the drive has some room to bounce a little which is better than a rigid mount. I've been over railroad tracks and potholes at high speeds w/o any problems. Hard drives are a lot more durable now than people think

Comment

Okay, how about temp extremes (summer and winter)?

How has everything gone in those conditions?

Comment

Hard drives are hermetically sealed and very well-protected, so unless you leave it in direct sunlight, your hard drive shouldn't have too many heat problems. You should be most concerned about to rest of the computer with heat. According to most accounts, it's best to put it in the trunk, or at least in the glove compartment. Some people put it under a seat, but it's only a few degrees cooler under the seat than it is in direct sunlight. One of the best measures of how your player will survive in your trunk is to drive around for awhile in the sun and then just stick your hand into the trunk, and just be your own judge of how hot it is. Or, if you want to use a thermometer, your computer's manual may even have some heat ratings for your hardware.
        digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Well, I installed my player beginning of September so I don't have any winter results for you yet. Stay tuned

It would be feasible to draw a hose from the ventilation with a valve so you can have some climate control for the player ( hot air for winter and AC for summer ). Basically if you're comfortable, the player should be more than ok. But, I personally am not crazy enough to drill around in my car... Personally, I don't see cold as a problem. I mean Kryotech thrives on that stuff

Condensation from heating up your cold player may/may not be an issue...

Comment

Cold won't be a problem unless frost develops. The only thing you have to worry about with cold is if you have an LCD display. Extremely cold (and hot) temperatures can cause an LCD display to crack or just plain die.
            digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Possible Idea toi protect LCD in extreme conditions while the car is parked. The big thrill in head units now is the 'removable facplate' Why not have the parralel connector at easy accses and just take the screen with your...theyd fit in an eyeglass case or even something smaller...protection for the LCD and from thieves...

Comment

Ive done everything with my mp3 car and the HD has not crashed. Ive been off roading, Ive hit pot holes on the road going 65+ , Ive left the LCD in the brutal florida sun and NOTHING (yet, knock on wood) has happend

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the help all

Comment

I killed a 6.4Gb Western Digital hard drive, but I'm also and idiot, because I mounted the hard drive discs parallel to the ground. I can only imagine that this caused the head to smack into the platter when I was driving through the construction around here. Now I have it mounted vertically and haven't experienced any more problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X