Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many devices on a USB 2.0 hub?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How many devices on a USB 2.0 hub?

    I plan on using a USB 2.0 hub with five ports, but was wondering if
    the bandwidth is sufficient for all of the following:

    A FM/AM/TV tuner card
    Lilliput touchscreen
    GPS mouse
    USB keyboard
    External Audigy Soundblaster?


    I was going to put my slot load DVD-ROM drive on USB 2.0, but I think
    I'll do firewire instead.
    Does anyone else run a lot of stuff off of their USB hubs?

  • #2
    its a powered hub right?
    Computer:
    COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
    STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sohr
      I plan on using a USB 2.0 hub with five ports, but was wondering if
      the bandwidth is sufficient for all of the following:

      A FM/AM/TV tuner card
      Lilliput touchscreen
      GPS mouse
      USB keyboard
      External Audigy Soundblaster?


      I was going to put my slot load DVD-ROM drive on USB 2.0, but I think
      I'll do firewire instead.
      Does anyone else run a lot of stuff off of their USB hubs?
      480mb/s is pretty stout...

      I have a laptop in my car right now with USB 1.1 running the Lilliput touchscreen, DeLorme USB GPS, Logitech Wireless Duo, and a Soundblaster MP3+ with no side effects thusfar...

      My hub isn't even powered either... lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DJKhan85
        its a powered hub right?
        Well, I was planning on it being one with all of the devices that I run... but if I can get away with a non-powered one that would make me happy.

        Is anyone succesfully running their DVD via a USB hub (with the usual other devices: GPS, touchscreen, etc.)?

        Comment


        • #5
          im using dvd via USB 2.0 hub has no problems in playback. I've read the external sound blasters use a lot of bandwidth, u might be better off running 2 cables down, having the dvd on one alone and all the rest on the hub, thats wot ive done.

          regards
          Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
          Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
          CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
          http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

          Comment


          • #6
            You shouldn't have a problem... I'm running an Audigy 2 NX, USB 2.0 DVD/CDRW, Delorme GPS, D-Link FM Tuner, Lilliput and USB Keyboard all running and haven't had any issues...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Litespeed
              You shouldn't have a problem... I'm running an Audigy 2 NX, USB 2.0 DVD/CDRW, Delorme GPS, D-Link FM Tuner, Lilliput and USB Keyboard all running and haven't had any issues...
              Sweet!

              Is that all on a powered hub, or non-powered?

              Comment


              • #8
                bandwidth doesnt change with powered/non powered. You will almost definately need a powered hub unless all the devices have their own power supplies.
                Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
                Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
                CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
                http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you have trouble with power, just hook up a few things and then go into Administrative Tools->Computer Management, click on Device Manager, and under Universal Serial Bus controllers you'll see your hub. Double-click that and click on the Power tab. You should see "Total power available" at the top and the power being used by each device in the list below.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the reason why it can be successful is because to the fact that all those devices connected to the hub does not take power/bandwidth all at the same time, and usb 2.0 has a generous bandwidth. lcd and ts does not take that much, audio are powered from an amps and speakers, etc.

                    the difference between powered and un-powered usb hub is that with the unpowered one, you put strain on your mobo and psu by taking the +5 volts from the psu itself thru the mobo.


                    danon
                    [....99.9%]
                    [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
                    [....99.8%]
                    [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
                    [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by danon
                      the difference between powered and un-powered usb hub is that with the unpowered one, you put strain on your mobo and psu by taking the +5 volts from the psu itself thru the mobo.
                      Each USB port on your motherboard can supply upto 500mA @ 5v. Thus an unpowered HUB has at most 500mA available to supply ALL of its devices (including itself). In many cases, individual USB devices use far less than the full 500mA and thus it's possible to use an unpowered HUB with several devices, without any problems. This doesn't put any 'strain' on your motherboard or PSU. If you go over the 500mA limit, your devices may start to operate incorrectly, or not at all.

                      If you power the hub with an external power supply, then each port on the hub is able to supply the full 500mA to any device plugged into it.
                      2004 4runner

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X