Arrgghh! Fuses!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrgghh! Fuses!

I can't seem to find a 15 amp AGU style fuse to go inline for my opus powersupply. 2 questions.
    1) Where did you guys who have wired the opus find your fuses/fuse holder.
    2) Would a 20 amp fuse be too much for the opus line? I really really don't wanna blow this thing. I think it would be too much but I'm not electrical engineer.

Thanks for any input.
    Computer:
    COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
    STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

Did you try a stereo shop? Aren't those the same size fuses as the large glass fuse holders? Otherwise, a parts store should be able to order them for you. I'd ship you some but the shipping cost would probably make it not worth it.

As for the amperage, there's probably enough safety margin that you could use the 20a, but again, it's not recommended.

Kris
    How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=270-1213

This is a radio shack inline blade (20A) for $2.39
      Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
      Syntax SV266AD KT266A
      AMD Athlon XP 2000
      Viking 256MB DDR
      D-Link Wireless 802.11B
      Seagate 120GB
      OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
      SII Wireless Audio Link
      Digimoto OBD-II
      Earthmate GPS
      BU-303 USB GPS
      D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Stereo shop was the first place I tried. Yeah AGU are the large glass fuses. I can find 5,10,and 20 amps in AGU but no 15. Thanks for all the input.
        Computer:

Comment

Did you try clicking the banner at the top?
          System:
          Epia M1000 w/512MB PC2100, Xenarc 700TS, ATI 7500 PCI, OPUS 150 PSU, 2.5 40GB 5400 HDD, 802.11g PCI, Slim Slot DVDR,
          Gyration RF Kybrd, OBDII adpt. + sftwr, XP pro, iGuidance/Royaltek GPS NAV, XMPCR, Kenwd KAC-8401 4 chnl amp, 10" pwd sub

Comment

I didn't see that but thanks. Unfortunately they are out of stock till septemeber on the 15 amp fuses.
            Computer:

Comment

opus manual doesnt mention anything about a fuse
              is it a good idea to use one?
              2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Originally posted by aoLhaTer
                opus manual doesnt mention anything about a fuse
                is it a good idea to use one?
                Always.
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

http://www.hivolume.com/en/select.ph...rket_part=3304
                  "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b@$#*??!!"

Comment

Where did you find this requirement for a 15A fuse?

Quite frankly, I don't see why using 20A is going to hurt a thing. If the wire shorts, it's going to be pulling a lot more than 20A.

Comment

Originally posted by Mears
                      Where did you find this requirement for a 15A fuse?

Quite frankly, I don't see why using 20A is going to hurt a thing. If the wire shorts, it's going to be pulling a lot more than 20A.
                      even so I paid 200 bucks for the opus, I don't wantany more current than what it needs going to it. Just in case
                      Computer:

Comment

Any in-car electrics store will have maxi blade fuse holders
                        CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

Originally posted by DJKhan85
                          even so I paid 200 bucks for the opus, I don't wantany more current than what it needs going to it. Just in case
                          Just so you know, a 15A fuse doesn't blow as soon as the current exceeds 15A. In fact, if 30A were being drawn on a circuit protected by a 15A fuse, that fuse could take anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to blow.

Anyways, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me where they got this 15A fuse information from...

Comment

Originally posted by Mears
                            Anyways, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me where they got this 15A fuse information from...
                            Harry Potter would be my guess. He's always making up crazy stuff. =)
                            "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b@$#*??!!"

Comment

I would just go with the 20A fuse. As pointed out, a fuse is not going to blow fast enough to save electronics. It's really just for preventing fire.

If you really think about, 15 amps may be a bit small. For instance, if your voltage is at the low end. I don't know how low you are planning on letting it get, but let's say 10VDC. Now if the Opus is kicking out the full 150W, you are already over 15A, because the Opus is not 100% efficient.

Give yourself a little headroom with the 20A fuse. As long as your wires can handle 20A without burning. I'm sure you selected a large enough wire (even if you were thinking 15A), because we all go a bit overkill on wiring, so we can minimize the voltage drops.

Comment

Working...
                              X