hmm...just fried the "egg" for my lilliput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm...just fried the "egg" for my lilliput

So i was cranking my system (keep in mind i am not your average joe when it comes to systems, i compete, and have upwards of 5K+ watts to my subs). Well i was cranking it and i notice the "smell" that you get from burnt electronics. I flipped thinking it was one of my amplifiers. I went to the back of my explorer but everything smelled fine there....so i get back into my car and i notice smoke slowly streaming out of the "egg" for my lilliput. I guess the egg is the device that converts the not-so-constant flow of 12v-16v to a steady 12v+. Luckily the lilliput was not actually hooked up to this!!!

I did some testing, plugged it into the lilliput. It lit the red LED just fine but when i pressed power the red LED faded away and there was no longer any power. I then plugged the lilliput into the wall converter and it powered up fine. Openened up the "egg" and there was some black residue on the board so i know it's what toasted. Why did this happen (too much current draw from the amps perhaps?) Where can i get a new "egg" or can i go to radio shack and just find a sturdy 12v-16v converter that will work the same?

i'm glad it was something small and not something major in my system!!

well i went to radioshack and they confirmed that it was indeed fried, and it was not the capicotors, but probalby some type of stepdown converter. Next question is where can i replace this (radio shack has nothing like it)? Or can i use my ITPS which i was under the impression acted the same way to convert a not so stable voltage to a more stable 12v. Also, if this happened to my "egg" could it also happen to the ITPS? Since there is clearly a dip below 12v, should i be worried about damaging the ITPS or even the computer!!

Comment

ITPS should work if you have one, but the cig adaptor is more conveinient for me. If anybody else has comments, they can probably clear things up.
      My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
      2 Kicker Comp 10"
      Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
      Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
      Check it out?!

Comment

I fried mine too by just plugging in the negative while the battery was connected. Sounds like it's not the highest quality piece of equipment in the world.

Comment

haha, yeah...

does anyone know where i can get a replacement or should i just try to splice this into the ITPS's output wires?

Comment

I stopped using mine after I realized my screen was a lot dimmer when using it. I get a solid brighter screen from the computer's 12 volts now.

I think they do as much harm as good, Pay 3 or 400 bucks and get screwed over with a 5 dollar piece of crap.

- Kyle

Comment

how did you connect it to your computer? Did you splice into wires? Or just use the proper molex connector and plug it into the right spot.I'm a bit of a computer noob, specially to wiring. So the more detailed help the better.

Comment

With all these problems, we should file a joint suit and get some of our money back.
                2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Yeh the egg is crap, use the 12v from yr PC power supply, or if u are desperate one of those lil DC-DC converters with plugs on the end.

Dont use an ITPS, their voltage regulation is very poor.
                  Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
                  Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
                  CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
                  http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

I have an opus and used the 12v from one of the molex connectors.

Comment

I confirm that the egg is a peice of crap. I just used the 12v rail from my opus power supply.

I just hooked up an splitter molex and spliced the yellow and black pair into the lilliput wires that I harvested from the egg (had to use them for the connector or else i would have trashed the whole thing)

I havent had a problem since
                      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

use the 12v off your psu.
                        Yellow wire is 12volts +, adjacent black wire is ground. No fuse, no fuss.
                        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

If you want to make a really good supply for it check this thread:
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22036
                          It's very stable, even with the engine off.

Comment

can anyone clever enough confirm if it is safe to take 12v for lillyput direct from PC? is it stable enough? Using egg and my lilly gets brighter with higher revs!! I am using an inverter if that makes any difference at all.
                            Thanks

Comment

Yeah, it is good to use the 12v directly from the PSU because the regulation is pretty good, other than the PSU sometimes drives heavy loads, and this might flicker the liliput a little. the egg contains not much magic in it, there
                              is a sharp PQ1CZ1 switching regulator in there, looks like a good choice, although the PCB looks not to be well designed (stray inductance only single sided with the IC mounted to the bottom, and HERE IS THE RANT........

This Sharp regulator IC is rated at 8 watts MAXIMUM with INFINITE HEAT SINK, and the Liliput is rated at 12v, maximum 8 watts, so it is definately logical that the EGG will FRY at some point. Usually when designing electronic equipment, you need to allow some leeway in the design (100 amp IGBT with 60 amp maximum). This is cutting it too thin!!!!!!

Please see http://sharp-world.com/products/devi...t/pq1cz1_e.pdf to study more
                              Carputer currently 'ghettoed' into car!!!

EPIA MII-12000
                              Ampie Case with rigged extra USB
                              Hitachi 60GB
                              Holux GPS mouse with iGuidance 2.0
                              Lilliput 7" touchscreen
                              Netgear WG121 USB WiFi
                              Carnetix P1260

Comment

Working...
                              X