ide to usb cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ide to usb cable

i'm looking for a regular ide to usb cable to run a cd rom from the front to the rear of the car. i'm trying to find one that doesn't require external power to run the cable. i know the cd rom needs power and that's not what i mean. some of the ide to usb cables need external power to run, but usb has power in the cables themselves. thanks

This is the one I have. Works good for me with a Panasonic CW-8123B.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...107-107&depa=1

Comment

Originally posted by eCarô
      This is the one I have. Works good for me with a Panasonic CW-8123B.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...107-107&depa=1
      Does it provide enough power to run a desktop hard drive?
      Don't Fear The Gurkey
      Click here to check out My Setup

Comment

No. It's not made to provide any power to the drive.

Comment

If you're still interested then check this out: H-E-R-E

It also includes a 3.5>2.5 adapter. It also has a 100-240VAC plug but by the looks if it it simply output +5V and +12V. In theory, your power supply should push the required power so you won't need the AC-DC adpater since it appears that this adapter is only used for the drive.

Derek
          Progress [||-------]
          View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
          Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Originally posted by d_sellers1

It also includes a 3.5>2.5 adapter. It also has a 100-240VAC plug but by the looks if it it simply output +5V and +12V. In theory, your power supply should push the required power so you won't need the AC-DC adpater since it appears that this adapter is only used for the drive.

Derek
            Yep, that's about the same thing that I linked to (except $2.01 more).

Comment

Originally posted by eCar
              Yep, that's about the same thing that I linked to (except $2.01 more).
              With the exception that this one is USB2.0, comes with the 2.5" adapter, and has free FedEx shipping! Your's is like four or five bucks. Mine's cheaper!

Derek
              Progress [||-------]

Comment

Touche. Mine is 2.0, but no adapter, and no free shipping.

Comment

I'm not sure when you last slept. I know you were up around 5am. It's now 3pm. I know I need to go to sleep. In about an hour, I will have been up for 24 hours. I've just about double my post count today writing back and forth beween us. Wonder how much longer this is gonna go on today?

Derek
                  Progress [||-------]

Comment

Quick-Serv 3.5" or 5.25" Device USB 2.0 To IDE Cable

Model# USB EZGO
                    Item # N82E16812118401

Compliant with USB 2.0 & 1.1
                    Supports many types of ATA/ ATAPI based mass storage devices
                    USB 2.0 High Speed (480) and Full Speed (12Mbit) Support
                    Supports Self-Power modes
                    Supports USB Suspend/ Resume Wake-up ability
                    Supports Plug & Play Specifications
                    64/ 512 bytes Data payload for full/ high speed Bulk Endpoints
                    OS Support: Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP & Mac OS 8.6 or Higher.
                    and so is dsellers_1 :-) also found the manufacturer's page:
                    http://www.qs.com.tw/Page/product/USB_EZGO.HTM

they also make an adapter for serial ATA to USB2.0 :-)

my problem would be that I am using a laptop...so where would i get the clean 12V for a non-laptop HDD?
                    "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                    Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Originally posted by kandyman678
                      my problem would be that I am using a laptop...so where would i get the clean 12V for a non-laptop HDD?
                      Hmmm, are you afraid to open up your laptop. You have a harddrive and optical drive in there. They should have the +5 and +12VDC. Now that I think about it, I think 2.5" drives don't use +12VDC (I may be wrong; not sure on this). There's bound to be a 12VDC connection in there somewhere. See what your power cable for the laptop outputs. Maybe it will give you the voltage.

Are you going to be running an inverter? If so, get you a 12V AC-DC adapter from RadioShack. That should work too.

Derek
                      Progress [||-------]

Comment

actually, i don't WANT to open up my laptop:-P i am hoping that if i want to upgrade to a regular CPU or another laptop, that the existing one remains untampered. its still worth about $700, and already have a basic docking station with it which I can get $750 packaged (been monitoring ebay auctions for the same laptop)

however, I am waiting for a full docking station that supports to PCI cards to come in early this week and will be happy to rip that apart :-) I am hoping for a 12V line somewhere in that (maybe fans or something I can split off of)

I know for a fact that laptop harddrives only need 5V...that's how the above device can self-power since USB carries 5V through the cord. on the other hand, desktop harddrives use 12V. I already have a USB1.0 adapter, and no desktop harddrive will power with it self-power...but a laptop drive i had at the time will.

right now I am running a straight DC to DC adapter from Targus. it takes the 9V to 18V from the car and regulates it for the laptop to 14V at 70 amp. it is already being hit hard enough since it is powering the existing dock AND laptop.
                        "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                        Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Oh man, I would need one of those to power up a desktop-type HDD. If anyone of you finds a PCMCIA version I'd be extremely thankful! A hard drive enclosure would be perfect - but only for desktop HDDs. I don't have any spare laptop ones that would be above 2 GB.
                          00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                          Newest install - my quickest ever
                          My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                          My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Originally posted by d_sellers1

Derek

The adapter with the power and ground wire in the pic doesnt look like its for a. slimline to IDE...

Comment

Originally posted by thepogcbr900rr
                              The adapter with the power and ground wire in the pic doesnt look like its for a. slimline to IDE...
                              Sure it does. The bit between the CDROM and the transformer brick with a molex connector on the end is that adapter.
                              2.5" IDE HDDs supply power through the IDE connector, so the female molex for power has to connect off that.
                              You wouldn't need the P/S, as you could connect the molex to the 5v power ont he motherboard, assuming you're taking that route.
                              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                              X