general questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general questions

Hi. I'm just in the planing stages of my carputer project, and I need some answers

1. I'm planning on running my carputer on it's own battery, and while the ignition is turned on the battery gets charged by the alternator, when I shut the car down, I want something to monitor the voltage, so that it drops too low it shuts the computer down, or perhaps a timer.. I'll measure how long I can keep the carputer on on the battery and then cut a few hours off. The reason I don't want to shut the carputer off right away is cause I might wanna go make a lot of short trips and I don't want to keep booting the thing up every time. Would this work?

2. It says on mini-box.com that the PW-70a can take from 10.5 up to 15.5V without any problems.. but I still need a regulator right? Or should it work to just hook up the PW-70a to the battery, with maybe a diode or something in between just to bring down voltage by .5V or so?

3. Do I really need a 1GHz epia mobo to play DVD's or use GPS? Or should it work with a 800MHz epia?

4. If the carputer is hooked to a brand new 44ah battery with ignition off so it doesn't recharge, would the voltage in the battery keep above, say 11V, 'til the battery starts to get really empty? Or does the voltage start to drop when it's like half empty?

First of all, make sure you put the second battery in a properly sealed battery box, don't want you blowing something up.

You could wire the ACC line (with a regulator) to the serial port and use windows XP's (and maybe 2000's) built-in UPS stuff. You can have it shutdown after X battery time.
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

ok.. didn't think of that.. thanks
      anybody else wanna tackle my other questions?

Comment

I asked the same question about the Epia 800 a few weeks ago.. The few people who had them said go with the M10000 or better. Mainly cause the onboard sound with the 800's suck really bad.
        www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

I hope your battery is a deep cycle battery. If it's a normal car battery, you'll destroy it pretty quickly. I deep cycled my car battery about 20 times by accident because I didn't realize my computer wasn't going into standby (the opus low voltage sensor cut power, but each time the battery was discharged to 10 or so volts and started a bit slowly) and one of the cells went bad.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
          http://hallert.net/

Comment

What's a deep cycle battery? I haven't actually bought the battery yet, so I'm in the clear

Comment

Well, the cheapest and most practical solution (I think) is to buy an oldie laptop, some Pentium 233 will satisfy all your GPS and MP3 needs. All you have to do is extend the monitor cables (can be done with some scotch tape without soldering) and you're all set.
              That's the kind of setup that I have in my car.
              There are several advantages:

1. You get a "free" screen with your laptop. No need to buy a $300 lilliput one.
              2. You get a backup battery which will charge while you drive and you will be able to put the computer to sleep for fast booting.

There is one thing though - you might have trouble mounting the big laptop screen in your dash. For me it's not a big deal - I have bad eyes and I need a big screen to display my playlist. You can click on my signature to see how it's done. I also have a picture of the backup battery that I use there as well, so that might answer your question.
              00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
              Newest install - my quickest ever
              My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
              My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Dont think a pentium 233 will be much good for DVD playback.

I'd suggest a tank circuit using a relay to cut off main battery power during crank, my battery can run my PC for quite a while before voltage starts to drop significantly, i have no need for a second battery.

I;d say its a good idea to go for the Ghz board, particularly if you want to do DVD as well as GPS directions for example. As for the low voltage dropout, i'd suggest the ITPS, it has low dropout regulation and can control the booting and shutdown of the PC, u could easily wire in a switch to control whether you want the PC to stay on even if ACC line goes dead.

HTH
                Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
                Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
                CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
                http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

Actually, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a laptop and a DVD player separately in this case?

Comment

Yuriy, you'd need a 1Ghz+ laptop, itll be cheaper to get the seperate parts. DVD's require a lot of processing power.

Comment

Originally posted by no1knows
                      Yuriy, you'd need a 1Ghz+ laptop, itll be cheaper to get the seperate parts. DVD's require a lot of processing power.
                      I understand that. I meant a standalone DVD player with a separate screen and everything.

Comment

A standalone DVD + monitor isn't too cheap either... and I want everything gathered in one place. I'm going to have a 1GHz m-ITX board, a separate battery for it, a lilliput 7" TS.. but I'm hesitant to buy the ITPS, cause it's 35 bucks for something that I only need half of.. I only want the regulator.. as for the shutdown controller, I'll have to get started with PIC programming again, I'm sure I can figure something out there.. it's just that I want a cheap powersupply that's my biggest problem right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DeJi
                          it's just that I want a cheap powersupply that's my biggest problem right now.

This costs 30 bucks. It works great as a backup power supply (to put the computer in hibernation) and it also recharges while you drive. In theory, you never have to charge it up, but they do give you a chance to do it using your home's socket. If you don't want to buy a laptop - this is the thing for you. A good question though is how are you planning on making it switch automatically to battely power when the main power is offline?

Hey - I just got another idea - UPS (or is it UPC?) hooked up to the main power through the inverter would work perfect! Once it gets charged you will never have to worry about doing it again because it too will charge while you drive.

Comment

Cheapest power supply is:
                            ITPS + 150W Inverter + 150W ATX PSU (or any old one lying around).

Works as well as a DC-DC at a fraction of the cost. Certainly proved the better option for me. Just stick some fans on everything.

Comment

Ahh, there we go! Not UPS but PSU

Comment

Working...
                              X