Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easiest future CarPC solution???

http://www.oqo.com/

with the docking station neatly integrated in dash, job done, usb peripherals come from docking station, then you have another dock in you house for use as your desktop.
    At present i cant think of anything it wouldnt allow us to do, as long as its audio out is good enough. wont be cheap route though. Discuss....

How about price? I think those are going to be pretty expensive, aournd a couple thosuand bux and pretty much everybody around here doesn't have that kinda budget to buy one of those.

BTW, last I heard, they were vaporware, the shipping date keeps getting pushed back
    '96 Chevy Cavalier - EPIA M10000, Win2K,MediaCar, Deluo GPS Mouse with Routis, 60GB external HD, 7" widescreen monitor from DigitalWW.

'00 Jeep Wrangler - planning stage

What can BROWN do for you?

Comment

Screen is way to small for car pc usage. Its PDA sized and you need a stylus to doing anything on the screen. Might be cool with an external touchscreen.
      Don't Fear The Gurkey
      Click here to check out My Setup

Comment

Don't know about those Transmeta CPUs though. I had a Sony PictureBook with one and it sucked arse.
        1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

Originally posted by wkolodny
          ...you need a stylus to doing anything on the screen. Might be cool with an external touchscreen.
          aggreed, didnt realise the screen wasnt resistive, asumed it was for some reason.

BTW, dont flame me (not implying that you are wkolodny) i am not suggesting this as a real route, for me (and prob 99% od ppl on here) it is cheating I like to design and build stuff my self, and also coulnt justify the price if i did want to cheat

Just put it here for *general disscussion!*

Comment

5" screen i think is big enough for most incar uses.
            Some nice things in its spec too, like auto brightness adjustment, simple but clever.
            I like the idea of having one device which is my CarPC, Laptop, desktop and PDA!

Comment

I want one and I didn't even check out the specs.

1GHz Transmeta processor
              20GB hard drive (shock-mounted)
              256MB DDR RAM

But I hope they push this up:
              more like 2 gigs, 100 gig hd, 1 gigs memory.
              I don't understand why all these companies make lower powered devices.
              Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

samc - heat dissipation? power consumption? a 100gig mini HD is probably 10 times the price of the 20GB one. The difference in price when your talking PDA size devices is far steeper.

Anyway, on that screen they probably dont expect you to be running any seriously CPU/memory intensive programs.
                Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
                Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
                CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
                http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/notebo...y_vaio_U50.htm
                  01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                  01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                  mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by samc

1GHz Transmeta processor
                    256MB DDR RAM

It's all marketing.. they will come out with better version to make you buy another one.
                    Shuttle xPC w/ Athlon 2400+
                    512MB ddr266
                    GeForce4 128MB agp video
                    250GB WD SE
                    USB2.0 DVD/CD-RW slim drive
                    7" Xenarc TSV touchscreen
                    PAC Audio AUX input module
                    Opus 150W PS
                    iGuidance usb GPS
                    RF keyboard/mouse
                    Mobile Media Center

Comment

Oh yeah I know cost, heat,..all these factors plus the marketing. Im just being unreal with the notion of a much better unit first instead of a cheepy box first.

I still want one even if it costs $1,000.

Comment

A slide out keyboard, 802.11, Bluetooth. They will run for about $2000+. Expensive, but really cool.
                        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by samc

1GHz Transmeta processor
                          256MB DDR RAM

well, they probably went w/ the 1ghz tramsmeta because it has low power consumption and is much cheaper than say, a pentium m. remember, this is a very mobile device, so low power consumption is very important.

also, i watched the video, it seems like this device is aimed at a mobile professional. it isn't meant for games or photo/video processing. its meant for normal desktop applications.

finally, this is a new company, i'm sure they don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a device it it turns out to not sell. probably another reason why they went w/ hardware that seems a little outdated to us.

this device definately has a market. but like many of you i would spend more money to get a more powerful unit.

Comment

Originally posted by no1knows
                            Anyway, on that screen they probably dont expect you to be running any seriously CPU/memory intensive programs.
                            no, its only ment for low power, non video, non processor intensive stuff. Intel's answer for a low power processor is the Celeron processor line:-P

this device is nothing new. its been around for a while, but not very popular. for almost the same $$, you can get a tablet PC running at 1Ghz, but with a Pentium Mobile with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, network and modem connections, usb connections, and a 20GB HDD

I was almost half tempted to just mount a tablet PC in the car...but since it is my work's computer, i didn't. :-P
                            "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                            Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

non video???
                              Then this thing is a lemon.

Comment

Working...
                              X