Any success with XPe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any success with XPe

I was wondering if anyone has successfully created an XPe image to use for the carputer. I know many of us have attempted, including myself, but I haven't been able to make my images work with any of the carputer software out there. Any thoughts or ideas would be great...thanks

Same here I have given up on XPe a long time ago. I have tried various builds including the one "profile" on the VIA website which didnt even pass the FBA stage. I have been reading that other companies have had success with using XPe with the VIA platform. Dont know what I was doing wrong.

Migrane
    ... you don't need eyes to see ... you need vision !!!

Comment

I'm running it on my carpc w/ media engine but I'm not using a VIA board.

Mage
      =Cars=-
      2001 Kia Optima, V6 4matic fully loaded SE W00t! soon to have a Car pc.

Comment

Congrats...how big of a footprint?, whats your boot time?, and any special measures that you had to take to get your software to work?

cheers

Comment

just a basic mini ATX board all standard stuff the hardest part was the psone screen. dont know boot times but it's running mediaengine when I hit the top of my street (about 8 houses away form my apperment) have yet to optimze it and stuff tho

Mage
          =Cars=-
          2001 Kia Optima, V6 4matic fully loaded SE W00t! soon to have a Car pc.

Comment

Stupid question - are we talking XPe (XP embedded) or WINPe (Windows Pre-Execution Environment)?

Comment

Embedded i believe
              ----------------------
              VIA Epia II
              256MB 266DDR Ram
              90GB Wester Digital
              Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
              Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
              ----------------------
              Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

i thought you might be talking about the XPE plugin for WinPE as well I also thought about WinPE...im almost positive it would work but its kinda slow at booting =/...and I'm not sure what good would come out of it haha
                CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

What exactly is this XPe?

Comment

Win XPe is Windows XP Embedded. It's a special distribution of windows xp libraries and tools with which you can create customised xp installations for specific hardware. You can get rid of all the unwanted stuff out and create images of xp with just what you want. To give you an idea after playing with xpe for 2 hours I managed to create a 340 MB bootable xp installation

More info :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/default.aspx

Comment

So does this just use up less disk space or does it have other advantages such as shorter boot time?

Comment

think of it this way...
                        smaller = better/faster. which is why XPLITE is around. It takes out all the crap you dont need out of the OS.
                        2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                        AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                        OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Well you see xpe comes with a huge database called "repositories". In there there are the xp "components" (such as ntfs support module or directx module etc.) Then there is a tool called "Target Designer". With it you can build your xpe image module by module. The same tool performs dependencies check before deployment.

Pro's :

Small footprint so that you can use a cf
                          xp core (stable)

Con's :

Trying to make xpe to work is a Zen riddle (aka DEPENDENCY HELL )
                          For example after a lot of effort you come up with a working image which takes 2 minutes to load (because probably a driver fails to initialize) but then you cannot see what's going on because when you're building the image you decided to leave out the console.
                          Another issue is that media rich applications require a lot of componets to be installed (Windows Media 9 core and codecs, directx core, .net, activex, etc etc) This will lead to an image close to 1 GB fact that fails the original target of small footprint.
                          Finally M$ wants $800 for a single xpe license

My advice is :

Stick with winxp classic and get rid as much as you can.

Hope this helps someone...

Comment

I gave up on it too. I sucked. I switched to linux

Comment

good idea....debian
                              CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Working...
                              X