Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not buy the pioneer slot load dvd-rom if using 150Watt opus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not buy the pioneer slot load dvd-rom if using 150Watt opus?

If I'm using a 150Watt opus and an itx chipset, is there any reason the opus wouldn't be able to handle the full size dvd-rom and harddrive? It's a little rediculous to me to spend 4 times as much for a slimline + adaptor. Or will the pioneer have skipping problems?

I have a 150W Opus/full size hard drive and my Pioneer slot load DVD drive is working great. No skips and the price was right. The only thing most people don't like about the drive is it can be very aggressive when grabbing and ejecting your dvd's/cd's. Apart from that, mine has been fine.
    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
    ATVMS.com

Comment

Mears,

Can you provide a link to the drive you're talking about?
      MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
        Can you provide a link to the drive you're talking about?
        Pretty sure he is talking about this drive: HERE

Originally posted by Mears
        It's a little rediculous to me to spend 4 times as much for a slimline + adaptor.
        I think a lot of people like it because of how thin it is. It's probably only a third as thick as the Pioneer. I used to have a Pioneer 105S. It lasted about a year of so before the slot-load mechanism died.

Derek
        Progress [||-------]
        View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
        Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

I'd also say you'll be fine. My feeling is based on the fact that I'm running a mini-itx, full size HD and the a slim drive all off the 90W opus. I'm sure that the difference between a slim and full size dvd isn't 50W.

Also i remember a post on the board here somewhere that had a link to a really cool power calculator that gave a pretty good indication of how much power consumption a particular setup would have.

If you're going to run an Opus(or any power supply) near it's limit it's a good idea to be sure you've got some air moving across it. Depending on how a given power supply is rated you can get away with taking a little over thier rated power if you provide agressive cooling. I have no idea how agressive Opus rates thier power supplies. But i'll bet that if you sent Chris at Opus an email with what you're intending to power he could tell you if it's too much.

Comment

Originally posted by StationRocket
            Also i remember a post on the board here somewhere that had a link to a really cool power calculator that gave a pretty good indication of how much power consumption a particular setup would have.
            I posted one. Lemme see if I can find it. here I come!

EDIT: Found it!

Derek
            Progress [||-------]

Comment

The image that d_sellers1 linked is the drive I was referring to.

I thought it was the Panasonic drives that were agressive with discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mears
                It's a little rediculous to me to spend 4 times as much for a slimline + adaptor.
                Have you found a slimline slot load drive somwhere? I can only find the ones for iBooks. Please give me a link if you have.

Tom
                VIA EPIA M9000/120 GB/Xenarc 700TSV/Opus 90W DC-DC
                Haicom GPS/3Com 11g Wi-Fi/D-Link BT
                WinXP/myHTPC/InfoMap Navigator Eu/PhoneControl w/T68i
                Blaupunkt HU & speakers/Velocity active subs/Alpine amps

Progress: removed while waiting for nano-itx

Comment

Link to slim slot load dvd
                  Kefka_Killer.owns(you);

Comment

thanks kefa!
                    VIA EPIA M9000/120 GB/Xenarc 700TSV/Opus 90W DC-DC
                    Haicom GPS/3Com 11g Wi-Fi/D-Link BT
                    WinXP/myHTPC/InfoMap Navigator Eu/PhoneControl w/T68i
                    Blaupunkt HU & speakers/Velocity active subs/Alpine amps

Progress: removed while waiting for nano-itx

Comment

Originally posted by d_sellers1
                      I posted one. Lemme see if I can find it. here I come!

EDIT: Found it!

Derek
                      This one is more useful for most automotive applications: http://www.mini-box.com/powersimulator.html (And more accurate, too - the jscustoms one REALLY overestimates.)

Comment

Originally posted by none
                        This one is more useful for most automotive applications: http://www.mini-box.com/powersimulator.html (And more accurate, too - the jscustoms one REALLY overestimates.)
                        That one is pretty nice. It's interesting that running office apps uses more power than playing DVDs...

Derek
                        Progress [||-------]

Comment

Working...
                        X