Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MII10000=Toast?

Guys-

You can see from my sig my config. I think I smoked my MB. I was running in on the floor in my truck just above my transfer case, and when the machine stopped running abruptly one warm afternoon a couple days' ago, I lifted it up off the floor and the floor was VERY HOT where the CPU was.

Now, Windows and/or bootup give various errors. It isn't the HD, I swapped that out already. The most consistent error I seem to get is on bootup and I get "NTLDIR not found". I assume this is a BIOS file that is somehow corrupted.

Thoughts before I spring for another MB?

TIA.
    ~Swell Guy~
    Via Epia MII10000 .5 Gb memory, 60 Gb HD, Xenarc 7" TS, inverter power (for now)

Nt Loader

From webopedia:

Short for NT Loader, a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Windows NT load.

Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

So according to this, it's probably your hard drive, you should probably do a fresh install. What version of Windows are you running?
    '96 Chevy Cavalier - EPIA M10000, Win2K,MediaCar, Deluo GPS Mouse with Routis, 60GB external HD, 7" widescreen monitor from DigitalWW.

'00 Jeep Wrangler - planning stage

What can BROWN do for you?

Comment

lol...I love this site
      DICE Los Angeles
      ]

Comment

Originally posted by b_nom
        From webopedia:

So according to this, it's probably your hard drive, you should probably do a fresh install. What version of Windows are you running?
        Yeah, thanks, already tried to re-install XP Home Edition Version 2002 a couple times. It craps out during install at various times, I get a mysterious "blue screen" of death. It says something like "Irrecoverable HW error at address" with a very long hex address. It happened at various points, like re-format of the HD and install of Windows on HD mid-stream. I'll try to re-install again after boot from CD. If I continue to get blue screen, any thoughts? Is there a way to reset the Bios to default? Could my memory have crapped out? I tried "Fail Safe Defaults" in the Bios fyi.

How 'bout those other MB's if I have to get another? Anyone like the MII12000, TC10000, or the Pentium mini-iTX models?
        ~Swell Guy~
        Via Epia MII10000 .5 Gb memory, 60 Gb HD, Xenarc 7" TS, inverter power (for now)

Comment

sounds like a bad/dead HD to me.
          99 VW GTI VR6 SC
          -The GTI-PC-

Comment

It could be anything really. A bad MB, bad Ram, bad HD, or even a bad power supply.
            Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
            Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Comment

Anytime we get a ntldr missing error at work it almost always a hard drive failure. Pop the drive in you desktop and try to install XP there, bets are it will fail. That will eliminate any questions of ram or power supply. If it installs correctly you know there is a different hardware issue involved

CarPC
              VIA Nehemiah M10000, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD
              100W DC PS /w ITPS, TV tuner, Slim Slot-Load DVD
              GPS, Streets and Trips 2004, Rearview Camera
              Bluetooth, 802.11b & CDMA 1X
              In-dash 7in Lilliput Touchscreen

Comment

Replaced HD, still getting error and blue screen at various times even after re-installing Winblows. Getting IRQ_NOT_FOUND error on bluescreen. Replaced MB today, still getting both errors. Looks like it's RAM or DVD drive since that's all that left besides case and power supply. Most likely RAM in my estimation. Thoughts?

Thanks.
                ~Swell Guy~

Comment

Originally posted by Swell Guy
                  Replaced HD, still getting error and blue screen at various times even after re-installing Winblows. Getting IRQ_NOT_FOUND error on bluescreen. Replaced MB today, still getting both errors. Looks like it's RAM or DVD drive since that's all that left besides case and power supply. Most likely RAM in my estimation. Thoughts?

Thanks.
                  Definately ram...
                  '03 BMW M3 6 spd.
                  Black/Imola Red
                  19's

Shuttle XPC w/ AMD 1800+
                  Opus 150w
                  Lilliput 7"
                  Wireless internet through my P900 and bluetooth

Comment

Had the same problem when computer was too close to subwoofers... Ram was junked. Try changing that out and see what happens... Remeber to keep away from heat and magnets
                    Car: 1991 Camaro Z-28 5.0
                    Computer:
                    Carputer build 2: In progress - Epia 10000, 5.1 surround sound, front panel replacing 1.5 din radio, laptop or standard hdd???
                    Future projects: GPS, Reverse camera using 4" monitor, PA System, FM/TV Tuner

Comment

Originally posted by InFix
                      Definately ram...
                      Yep, that was it. Thanks, guys. Fry's swapped it out, crappy Kingston memory...

Looks like my MB has some probs, too, though. I can't get the screen resolution in 800x600 to scale properly on my Xenarc. The new MB doesn't have this problem so I swapped it out.

I have a "cool" semi-permanent spot to put the mobo, hopefully get to it soon when I'm out of beta.
                      ~Swell Guy~

Comment

Working...
                      X