Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA Epia MII 12000 Nehemiah Mainboard

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=414

Does any of you have any opinions on the above motherboard?

Likely to work OK with a 90W Opus ?

Good price ?

Anything else good or bad ?

Thanks

All

Rob

try www.cartft.com You might like what they have. Should have no probs with the OPUS.

o/______\o
    (oo_OO_oo)
    []o-----------o[]
    '94 320i

Comment

unless your gonna use the PC card slot or cf slot save yourself the money and go for the M10000 it has all the same NB and SB components and you can't boot off the CF card...

Comment

if you did have your heart set on booting off a CF card you can get an CF->IDE converter for about 20 bucks. The CF card plugs into the converter and then is read just like a normal drive that allows it to be bootable.
        My firewall at home consists of one of these running in read-only mode and it works great!

Comment

Originally posted by brandon
          if you did have your heart set on booting off a CF card you can get an CF->IDE converter for about 20 bucks. The CF card plugs into the converter and then is read just like a normal drive that allows it to be bootable.
          My firewall at home consists of one of these running in read-only mode and it works great!
          Hey Brandon, what firewall are you running? Did you set it up on a regular drive first and then image it onto the CF card? I tried to install a stripped copy of WinMe to a 1 gig CF card and the darn thing would not boot on any machine I attached it to. I tried different bootable CF card adapters and none would boot. Not make any sense to me.
          Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

Originally posted by brooksware2000
            Hey Brandon, what firewall are you running? Did you set it up on a regular drive first and then image it onto the CF card? I tried to install a stripped copy of WinMe to a 1 gig CF card and the darn thing would not boot on any machine I attached it to. I tried different bootable CF card adapters and none would boot. Not make any sense to me.
            You may want to update the BIOS on your mobo. Most newer MOBOs will recognise the CF as a regular hard disk.. be sure to have the BIOS set so it will boot off that "HD" (CF card). I even installed a stripped down version of win98 onto a 128M CFcard. Really works.
            I tried to installs a striped down WINXP, but you need at least a gig just to start an install.. Good luck.

o/______\o
            (oo_OO_oo)
            []o-----------o[]
            '94 320i

Comment

LinITX is a good supplier Get your bits from them and you won't disappointed

If you will use the CF and PCMCIA slots, then it's good, otherwise get the M version

And yep, it will work fine with the Opus 90W.

Garry
              Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by euro320i

You may want to update the BIOS on your mobo. Most newer MOBOs will recognise the CF as a regular hard disk.. be sure to have the BIOS set so it will boot off that "HD" (CF card). I even installed a stripped down version of win98 onto a 128M CFcard. Really works.
                I tried to installs a striped down WINXP, but you need at least a gig just to start an install.. Good luck.
                I tried it on 3 different computer with the same results. I tried it on a M10000, Epia800, and a Dragon Ultra Platinum. All MB had the latest bios upgrade. The BIOS does recognize the drive and installs OS to the drive but when it reboots after detecting hardware, that is when it will not boot from the CF card.

www.hobbybotics.com

Comment

Does not boot from drive?

Have you tried different CF cards?
                  I haven't yet experienced that it wouldn't boot from the CF drive, but it sounds a lot like when a HD is corrupted. I have had HD that had a bad boot sector that wouldn't boot but formatted and installed perfectly. Do you get the same results with even a another smaller CD card?

o/______\o
                  (oo_OO_oo)
                  []o-----------o[]
                  '94 320i

Comment

Originally posted by euro320i
                    Have you tried different CF cards?
                    I haven't yet experienced that it wouldn't boot from the CF drive, but it sounds a lot like when a HD is corrupted. I have had HD that had a bad boot sector that wouldn't boot but formatted and installed perfectly. Do you get the same results with even a another smaller CD card?
                    Nope, have not tried another yet but I will be trying a different card soon. I have scanned it using Partition Magic and it did not find any bad sectors on the drive.

www.hobbybotics.com

Comment

is the partition set to active/bootable?
                      Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                      Mods: Yep
                      Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Originally posted by 00CericaRuss
                        is the partition set to active/bootable?
                        You are a F'ing genius...

Why did I not think of that. I never set the drive as active.

Thanks all for the support. I'm sure that will fix it.

www.hobbybotics.com

Comment

As to the original post: I have this exact board with 512mb of cl2 ram. Its pretty nice.

As for whether the pcmcia and cf card support is worth the extra money...you also get a 1.2 ghz nehemiah cpu.

Comment

Hey, sorry I missed your question here, I know I'm a little too late in answering but I figure I'll go ahead and do it anyhow just so you didn't waste a post
                            My firewall is just a hardened install of Debian GNU/Linux. I used to have it on a bootable CD but my wife got me the CF->IDE adapter one day so I put it to use. I just imaged my CD to the card, but could have just as easily built it on the card.
                            Just the other day I got hold of another one of those adapters and decided to put Windows XP on it, damn was that a battle. My first time installing XP on anything and I had no idea how fat-*** windows has become as of late... last time I installed it was windows_for_workgroups many moons ago. I have a CD copy of Windows XP Pro Corp Edition that I got when I was working at Lexmark, since there is no need to activate it I figured what-the-hell, let's see what we can do with it. Was a daunting task and a great learning experience to boot. Anyhow, there, I've answered your question.... and no you can't have a copy of my Windows XP cd :P .... well, maybe if you ask nicely

Originally posted by brooksware2000

Comment

Originally posted by brandon
                              Hey, sorry I missed your question here, I know I'm a little too late in answering but I figure I'll go ahead and do it anyhow just so you didn't waste a post
                              My firewall is just a hardened install of Debian GNU/Linux. I used to have it on a bootable CD but my wife got me the CF->IDE adapter one day so I put it to use. I just imaged my CD to the card, but could have just as easily built it on the card.
                              Just the other day I got hold of another one of those adapters and decided to put Windows XP on it, damn was that a battle. My first time installing XP on anything and I had no idea how fat-*** windows has become as of late... last time I installed it was windows_for_workgroups many moons ago. I have a CD copy of Windows XP Pro Corp Edition that I got when I was working at Lexmark, since there is no need to activate it I figured what-the-hell, let's see what we can do with it. Was a daunting task and a great learning experience to boot. Anyhow, there, I've answered your question.... and no you can't have a copy of my Windows XP cd :P .... well, maybe if you ask nicely
                              Yeah, I got the corporate as well from my job. My question was answered a couple posts ago. I needed to set my CF card as the active drive. How was you able to fit Xp onto a CF card. I tried and it was toooo big for my 1gig CF.

www.hobbybotics.com

Comment

Working...
                              X