Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW 2004 330i Project (any input welcome)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW 2004 330i Project (any input welcome)

Well, as promised, here is a pic of my new car that was delivered last week. It is a BMW 2004 330i sport/prem package with just about every option. I have most of my parts ready to go for the car pc but still planning my attack. I wanted to get these pics up first and then I will list a few questions for the pros. Thanks to all that have helped with advise!

UPDATE ON PROGRESS PICTURE:

Attached Files
    My BMW 2004 330i

Congrats on the new ride! It looks great. There are several installs done on that body style BMW here on the boards. In fact, there is a link somewhere on this board for someone who makes a dash piece that replaces the radio and will allow the 7" Lilliput to be flush mounted in your BMW - the custom dash piece looks so good you would think it was factory. To achieve this, you would remove your radio & A/C controls. The A/C would than be moved down to the empty pocket - reference the factory Navigation installation. The factory Nav install is exactly like the install I am talking about except you will have a custom dash piece instead of the Nav that matches the rest of your dash with a Lilliput behind it.

Out of curiosity - how much did you pay for it? What was the negotiated selling price (please list all options/extended warranties if possible)? Did the car have any miles (i.e. was it a demo)?

I'd love to know how the Arizona market is compared to the LA market for BMW's.

Goos Luck.

-HD

Comment

Automatic!!!
      -Brad
      83 mp320i
      99 mp323i
      _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

nice car just dont mess anything up

Comment

throw in the navi and then run a program like xcar or caramp or bebox. check the yahoo group hacktheibus.

Comment

Nice looking car man and even nicer to see a carputer in it. I have an 02 m3 that I am planning a carputer for so I know how excited you must be. Let me know if you are looking for some oem clear tail lights for that bad boy because I have mine for sale ... [email protected]

Have fun

AdamR

Comment

System

Ok here is what I have to run for the Car PC. I originally wanted my laptop to run the setup but I just could not find a place for the Laptop. I have very little free space in the car and teh trunk is out of the question since I live in AZ. If anyone has soe thoughts here (besides ripping my car apart) I would be open to listen.

AMD Athlon 2500 1.84ghz
              Jetaway nf18GF mobo (pulled fom a shuttle PC) nforce2 onboard video
              1 GB DDR PC2700 Ram
              Opus 150w
              Xenarc 7" 700TSV
              250GB WD Hard Drive
              Deluo USB GPS Routis 2004
              Microsoft 802.11g USB (powered) network card
              Audigy2 NX external sound
              Storix USB (powered) DVD/CDRW
              Gyration wireless keyboard and mouse

WANTING TO ADD but may need help and advise in this area:
              BMW IBUS hack for stearing wheel volume and track selection
              2 more generic monitors in the head rests
              Powermate USB volume knob

The sound system in the car is Harmen Kardon upgraded sound. I never thought twice about using them for my custom install, however, I may just add a small sub and use the OEM speakers and amp. If anyone has done this in the BMW, how hard was it and how does it sound? I really dont want to run another amp and 4 sets of speakers when I have a good OEM set already.

Before I get started on the install, I wanted to be sure I had the layout right. I do not have room in my glove compartment for the OPUS PSU along with the PC so I wanted to mount in under the passenger seat. this would require me to run longer 5 and 12V wires from the PSU to the units. I will also have to run a longer ATX power cable to the mobo. I dont think there is a problem doing this but thought I should ask. I will be posting more pics soon.
              My BMW 2004 330i

Comment

HD, thanks for the good post. I have seen many of the BMW installs on this site. They have been invaluable. I think I am actually going to get that custom bezel fo rthe Xenarc monitor. Its $350 but damn it looks good. Well, email me at [email protected] and I can give you the low down on the price and all options. I did some comparision shopping and have some tips.
                My BMW 2004 330i

Comment

Originally posted by jedi7001
                  HD, thanks for the good post. I have seen many of the BMW installs on this site. They have been invaluable. I think I am actually going to get that custom bezel fo rthe Xenarc monitor. Its $350 but damn it looks good. Well, email me at [email protected] and I can give you the low down on the price and all options. I did some comparision shopping and have some tips.
                  Hey man Id be interested in that bezel. I have an 03 m3, but a lilliput. I was thinking of either doing the flush mounting myself or having a local shop do it, but if it looks good, Ill just buy that one. Can you give me any info on that?
                  '03 BMW M3 6 spd.
                  Black/Imola Red
                  19's

Shuttle XPC w/ AMD 1800+
                  Opus 150w
                  Lilliput 7"
                  Wireless internet through my P900 and bluetooth

Comment

InFix. this is the link to the guy who does the work. It is a big thread and he has many pictures. Click on his website or email him for ordering info. Tell him jedi7001 on MP3CAR referred you.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20509
                    My BMW 2004 330i

Comment

Originally posted by jedi7001
                      InFix. this is the link to the guy who does the work. It is a big thread and he has many pictures. Click on his website or email him for ordering info. Tell him jedi7001 on MP3CAR referred you.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20509
                      Thanks man, if I get it, Ill let him know
                      '03 BMW M3 6 spd.
                      Black/Imola Red
                      19's

Shuttle XPC w/ AMD 1800+
                      Opus 150w
                      Lilliput 7"
                      Wireless internet through my P900 and bluetooth

Comment

jedi,

just a quick one mate, i noticed you said you have "just about every option" did u get the Phone Bluetooth system, because if you i did, i will be very intrested in finding out how you will get round this. As i have the systems and was looking into buying one of these great bezals however i had to remove my business unit, which would mean goodbuy bluetooth.

cheers
                        [SIZE=6]Join Date: Aug 2003
                        Vehicle: 2004 320d Sport Touring
                        HP-Epc, 512mb Ram, 250gb hd, Lilliput, GPS.
                        [/SIZE]

Comment

easyrog, no sorry did not pick up the bluetooth. I had to get the BMW Assist with the premium package. You cant get both, its on or the other. I thought I may do the blue tooth thing later after the BMW Assist term runs out but I think you need to the head unit to get it to work. Let me know what you find out. There has to be a way to integrate it to the PC and IBUS
                          My BMW 2004 330i

Comment

Jedi,
                            mate, wish i didnt get the bluetooth kit in mine, never new that you have to keep the head unit to use it, never mind.

I have used the Phonecontrol s/w on this web site using my latpop with a blue tooth adaptor and it works great, however still need to keep the car head unit in place to use the phone system, i'm in the middle of talks with a chap who has made a custom bracket for a sceen which fits behind the gear stick. will post pics once i get them.
                            [SIZE=6]Join Date: Aug 2003
                            Vehicle: 2004 320d Sport Touring
                            HP-Epc, 512mb Ram, 250gb hd, Lilliput, GPS.
                            [/SIZE]

Comment

hmmm... somethings wrong with your bmw.. your shifter is all wierd looking and your missing a pedal.. .. just kidding.. anyway..

Let me know what you figure out, because me and my friend are trying to figure out the same thing since we live in AZ too.. He's bent on going with mini itx and mounting under the seat or something.. I did some measurements and I know someone has done that in their bmw.. so it's possible..

i'm more towards the micro atx route.. but that ain't gonna fit under the seat.. the smallest case I could find is 9.6x9.6inch and like 3.5inch high.. not to mention $380... comes with dc-dc power supply though..

the only real place to put it without it being seen is the trunk. My friend has is laptop mounted in the trunk of his M3 and said heat hasn't been a problem because he's got fans and stuff.

my solution that I've come up with is to build a custom case out of a 12v travel cooler.. keep cool in and heat out.. even with the engine off.. so it shouldn't cause a problem with condesnation.. and I wouldn't turn it too low either. keep it at like 80-85 deg.. room temp..

Comment

Working...
                              X