Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please take a moment to help this noob....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please take a moment to help this noob....

this may seem like a simple task but i am trying to extend the power supply cord for my radar detector, could yall help me out?

what wire would be best to use?

what is the best way to splice it back together?

thank you for your time

Comment

You can get "barrel connectors" from any radio shack. All this requires is you to cut the cord, get another strand of wire and put them together. The barrel connector requires crimping.

---ORIG WIRE------>[BARREL]<---NEW WIRE--->[BARREL]<----ORIG WIRE-----

AdamR

Comment

simple
        old.....x.....new.....x.....old

x= tie together, crimp with a barrel....whatever
        DICE Los Angeles
        ]

Comment

Originally posted by hxcsemu
          this may seem like a simple task but i am trying to extend the power supply cord for my radar detector, could yall help me out?

what wire would be best to use?

what is the best way to splice it back together?

thank you for your time
          I typically piggy back things together. Splitting each wire in half ---< >-----
          and twisting one side with the other side and the the other side with the other side and then all together then tape!

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/pdf/M...1200_1200E.pdf

Take a look at this site, it has some good ways how to make some connections on page 3 and 4.

good luck!
          BossTone74

Comment

ok thanks all, i had a pretty good idea but the people at radio shack didnt seem to know any more than i did, they said they have no "adapter extenders"

any wire should work?

special size or guage wiring?

thanks again

Comment

check this out

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=270%2D1592

Comment

what kind of power connector is it? prob be easiest to go to radioshack and get the opposite matching male/female connector, solder your extension there and get another of the same connector you have already.

another note. why do you need an extension? your radar detector shouldn't be totally out of reach of the cigarette lighter. another possibility you might awnt to consider is a hardwire.

Comment

You want to do it right? Do NOT use tape and those twist-on wirecaps. Do it the way the pros do. Either splice the halves of the wire together and cover the splices with shrink tubing (available at any Radio Shack), OR, use "butt splices" which are little barrels that the wire ends go into, and get crimped down to lock it all in place.

This way, you don't risk a short from an unexpected exposed wire, and possibly blowing a fuse in a potentially important circuit. I've seen some vehicles where the gauges and the lighter were on the same circuit.
                  The ALEXIS Project
                  MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                  Color Coding :
                  DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Or, you can do what real pro's do and solder the ends together.

Comment

Originally posted by trancified

Ahh, but you see...A real Pro wouldnt be using a cigar lighter adaptor in the first place ....

My $.02, go to Radio Shack, find the end you need, buy some small guage (radar detectors draw very little power) speaker wire (I know, but its cheap and easy), route it cleanly behind the headliner and "A" pillar, and tap into your fuse panel to a source that has power only when the ignition is on...the cigar lighter usually is powered all the time. A clean install will always be worth the extra time.
                      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Totally agree with you gospeed.

Comment

Originally posted by trancified
                          If we're talking car electronics, almost every professional I've ever known prefers butt splices to actually soldering the ends together, since the connection is just as good, and doesn't require dripping potentially interior-damaging molten solder all over the place...

Point well taken though.. Ok, solder the joint, THEN heatshrink!
                          The ALEXIS Project
                          MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                          Color Coding :
                          DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Working...
                          X