No announcement yet.

USB 2.0 3.5" hard drive adapter - WOW!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 2.0 3.5" hard drive adapter - WOW!

Wow guys, this looks like it's even faster than IDE! I can copy 2 MP3s encoded at 192 kbs in one second. I just copied my entire 9 GB music collection to an external 3.5" IDE hard drive in 10 minutes! Amazing technology! Its hard to beleive that USBs have only 5 wires in them
    00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
    Newest install - my quickest ever
    My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
    My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Okay - I must be seing things! 300 mb took 5 seconds to copy!

Comment

you talking usb2.0 to IDE converter? i find this even faster than usb 2.0 to usb 2.0 link cable for some reason...i have both...
      MG ZR CARPUTER (UNITED KINGDOM)

Comment

is there a link to the cable you bought?

Comment

something like this
          http://www.usb-port.com/uda200.html
          but i got mine from www.maplin.co.uk ( i'm UK resident by the way LOL)
          do a search for IDE to USB 2.0 cable on google......it should have the main converter and a seperate molex adapter and the ad - dc transformer with it as well

also i noticed the lead was VERY VERY short on my one e.g USB plug to IDE plug was around 15 cm...maybe it affects the data transfer speed?
          MG ZR CARPUTER (UNITED KINGDOM)

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5107047399

How about this, i have one and it is much cheaper than others I have seen. Look at the other items he sales, he has more.
            Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

Here's what I got - works like a charm! True plug&play in both Win 98 SE and Win XP.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
              They also gave me a 3.5" to 2.5" drive converter so I can use my laptop's drive too, which is what I'm doing at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksware2000
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5107047399

How about this, i have one and it is much cheaper than others I have seen. Look at the other items he sales, he has more.
                Oh hey - same thing
                If you ever need one - buy this type. Comes with a compact power supply for your inverter.

Comment

Here's the one that I want. $35 with free FedEx shipping.
                  LINK

Derek

edit: Okay. I'm gonna stop posting links to all the parts that I want. Three other peices are currently sold out. Not cool...
                  Progress [||-------]
                  View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                  Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Originally posted by Yuriy
                    Oh hey - same thing
                    If you ever need one - buy this type. Comes with a compact power supply for your inverter.
                    Yep, gots me two of them puppies. I'm working on a little project with some hot swappable drives in drive bays for my carpc. I'll be able to pull the drives out and take them in the house and upload media on them and then take the cartridge back outside and plug it back into the media bay.
                    Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

USB2 is not faster than IDE, but it's pretty quick. Here is a report from Sandra on one of my HDs (a Hitachi Deskstar (IBM) 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache).

The red is my drive. Below it is what Sandra thinks a similar drive should do on ATA100. Below that is what Sandra thinks a similar drive should be running, if connected by USB2 (I'm not sure why I beat their estimated by a fair amount). Then you have USB1.1. And I threw in a SCSI for kicks.

Also when I hooked the same drive to the same computer via IDE, I got around 33,000kB/s (just a little more than Sandra estimates).

Comment

Again, was thinking the same thing as eCar but forgot to put that in my post a few minutes ago. eCar strikes again.

Derek
                        Progress [||-------]
                        View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                        Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Originally posted by d_sellers1
                          Again, was thinking the same thing as eCar but forgot to put that in my post a few minutes ago. eCar strikes again.

Derek

Comment

how do you power it in the car. do you just use the adpater to transfer the stuff, or as a whole, and use it in the car. since an invertor, woudl generate noise, and you would pick it up in the car

Comment

I always thought about buying 3 or 4 USB-IDE adapters and make an external RAID for my laptop. In the US we can buy these for $20 so 3-4 isn't that bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X