Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring/GPS problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wiring/GPS problem

    I've got a wiring problem. I'm unable to get a wire (USB-GPS receiver) running from the engine compartiment to the dashboard. (I have Ford Galaxy and it has a big dashboard. Everything is very tightly...

    I can't use the GPS-mouse on my dashboard because it has this "thing" in the glass for anti-condensating purposes.

    Is there a way to connect a USB device to a Bluetooth enabled device? What I mean is a sort of convertor that has a USB port on it where you could put a USB printer, USB Card reader, or indeed a USB GPS mouse and transmits to the computer using bluetooth?

    I don't really want to buy a new gps mouse because I have a perfectly good working one.

    I thaught of smashing my front window but my wife wasn't in for that idea... lol

    Maybe an other idea is to re-use the OEM-GPS receiver/antenna that's built in?
    Needstorage
    --------------------------

    Who the hell is general failure?!?
    And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

  • #2
    .

    Engine compartment, does this mean the GPS unit will be mounted on the hood of your car ?

    GPS signlas are like light from a flashlight (you probably already know this) so the GPS unit must be outside on the car. When you say engine compartment it means to me that the GPS unit is in fact somewhere on the front of the car. BUT because the roof of your car is metal and higher then the hood you are reducing the angle at which it can recieve signals.

    You should try to put the reciever on the roof (or highest point of the car) This will get rid of the problem of trying to go through your firewall. instead you can go through the door Jam or something like that.
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by IntellaWorks
      Engine compartment, does this mean the GPS unit will be mounted on the hood of your car ?

      GPS signlas are like light from a flashlight (you probably already know this) so the GPS unit must be outside on the car. When you say engine compartment it means to me that the GPS unit is in fact somewhere on the front of the car. BUT because the roof of your car is metal and higher then the hood you are reducing the angle at which it can recieve signals.

      You should try to put the reciever on the roof (or highest point of the car) This will get rid of the problem of trying to go through your firewall. instead you can go through the door Jam or something like that.
      what does door jam mean? (I know what a door is, so don't be to hard on me )

      I tried a temporary install where I placed te GPS mouse where I wanted it to be and reception was fine. (It's located under the hood, but very near to the side and the window. There's this small band that just is made out of plastic, and it is big enough to hold the GPS mouse underneat. It even has the advantage of being installed perfectly invisible in this case.)

      Also the nose of the car is not very vertically. Do you know what I mean... err... like in this nose:
      Needstorage
      --------------------------

      Who the hell is general failure?!?
      And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

      Comment


      • #4
        If there is a 'factory gps antenna' in the car, perhaps you can mount yours right next to it?
        2004 4runner

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Needstorage
          what does door jam mean? (I know what a door is, so don't be to hard on me )
          A door jamb is what the door closes into, were the (reciever) latch is, the "b" pillar, the piece between the front and rear doors.
          AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
          "A great smoking alternative"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by muldrick
            A door jamb is what the door closes into, were the (reciever) latch is, the "b" pillar, the piece between the front and rear doors.
            Ok, get it now. I'll take a look at it.
            Needstorage
            --------------------------

            Who the hell is general failure?!?
            And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

            Comment


            • #7
              .

              Need storage, I definatly would NOT keep it under the hood. I'm afriad of the heat plus, there is heat shielding AND the hood above your gps unit. I know you said you've tested it but here is some food for thought.



              I can get a partial lock when my gps reciever is at my developing PC. I only know its a partial lock because I'm writing software that reads NMEA 1.83 (or the data comming from the GPS unit) when in my developing station, it only gets a partial data (meaning ther is certian peices of data missing) i.e. (speed, direction) because the signal is not fully being read. It's enough information for GPS software to give a location (sometimes) but not all the time (depending on what part of the signal was missing)

              Simply put: Your GPS wont be as accurate, and if your using a "Standard" gps which already is 25ft innacurate then that not that great.

              if you have a van, then its perfect for gps, throw it on the roof in the rear of the van. Thats where they usually install XM satellite recievers.
              Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card
              Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
              Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

              Comment


              • #8
                addition

                My developing PC is under a roof. (thats why I used that example)
                Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card
                Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                  if you have a van, then its perfect for gps, throw it on the roof in the rear of the van. Thats where they usually install XM satellite recievers.
                  Well, my factory built-in GPS receiver is on top of the roof, at the back. If i'm able to put my GPS mouse over there, I have another question. How long can I make this USb cable to the GPS-receiver. (in meters, please)
                  Needstorage
                  --------------------------

                  Who the hell is general failure?!?
                  And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It looks like the standard is about 16ft/4.8m. I did find this cable. It is 16ft/4.8m and it has a repeater built in to it. In theory, you could have this and then another 16ft/4.8m cable. Think about 30ft/9.1m should do you pretty good.

                    Derek
                    Progress [||-------]
                    View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                    Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      USB repeater cable = 1 port USB hub.
                      2004 4runner

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X