Neo 35: Ya or Nay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neo 35: Ya or Nay?

Anyone have a Neo. If so, what are your opinions about it. I have a working mp3 player, but am looking at getting one anyway. It looks too good to be true. So help me find the flaw.

You can find info about the NEO (hard-drive based player) at http://www.ssiamerica.com

If anyone finds a review let me know.

Thanks

aka_Lint

I just ordered one, so I'll let you know next week sometime.

OEP

Comment

Yeah this looks cool. Can just imagine in a year from now what kind of products we will see that are harddrive based (hopefully a ton!)

Comment

I e-mailed the sales contact, and received a response in about 4 hours.
        KG6OQD
        www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

I just read about a HD based unit that looks like an amp. It hooks directly into your CD changer controls on your head unit. Right now they support Sony and someone else, but they will have support for Pioneer and the rest eventually. I think it was $500 for a 6GB version. Supposed to be out this year.

OEP

Comment

I'm starting to get a little ****ed with their sales staff. I emailed them friday wanting to know if they were going to sell the LCD seperate and yesterday I emailed them asking if they send a tracking number when the unit ships. I still have not received a reply for either of the questions, nor have I heard whether it has been shipped (I ordered it Friday).

OEP

Comment

I just ordered one too...bought a 30G HDD also..

..hope it comes soon though..can't wait

------------------
              ---go terps

MykolJay
              --------
              mykolJay
              99 Accord coupe
              http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
              My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

I have gotten good response (so far) from the sales staff, and anticipate ordering one here in the near future.
                KG6OQD
                www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Ya. I think i will wait until some units are shipped, and SSI gets the kinks worked outa there retail system. Its cool to be the first person on your block with a HD-mp3 player in your car, but only for like a month when someone comes out with a player with twice the options and half the price.

aka_Lint

Comment

Have u guys really sat down to think about what u want in an mp3player. seems to me that this device is very similar to a CD changer in terms of function wise. If u have over 3,000 songs and u are looking for some particular song, can this puppy find it??, how does it organize mp3s', what other features does it have. I haven't looked at this product yet, but i would like to know more about it. Seems like they have a long way to go though.

abcd-1

[This message has been edited by cenwesi (edited 07-12-2000).]
                    abcd-1
                    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Well, my Neo 35 arrived this morning. Here are my first impressions.

quick note: I'm still at work, so all I can do is tell you how it looks.

First off, it seems to be of a descent quality...except for the big silver selection button. It's somewhat off kilter (fixed by opening the case and pushing the circuitboard to the side a little). The case (fake leather)that comes with it is actually better than I expected. It has cushioning (not that much, but at least it's some), a shoulder strap and a small pocket to keep a CD or two in(I don't know why either).

It appears that the car and home docks are the same thing. The car dock seems fairly sturdy. They don't show this in the pic at the site, but besides the hookup for the adaptor (not included. I'm guessing that's reserved for the home stereo deck) there are two wires so that you can hook it up to your cars wiring. They were even nice enough to throw in a set or RCA cables so you don't have to buy any.

The remote is your typical plastic credit card sized remote. It controls:

power, Mute, Select, Menu, Program, EQ, and the obvious (play/pause, stop, up, down, FF, FR). And yes, it comes with the battery.

I'll write more tonight when I actually get to play with it.

OEP

Comment

FINNALLY! Someone to tell us if this thing is good or not! Wasn't moon supposed to have one to review?
                        Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
                        Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
                        Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
                        www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Well kids, after two hours...I'm going to give the Neo 35 a big, fat ZERO!!! This thing is a piece of ****. It doesn't work. I couldn't get it to work on two of my computers. I set it up exactly like they say to. Whenever it was hooked up, the system wouldn't see it, or it wouldn't see either of my HD's. Save your $300 and buy something that works. I should have known better when the sales staff never returned my emails.

OEP

Comment

Just curios: how are you supposed to hook it up. I was under the impression that one would just take the HD out of the neo and plug it into the IDE bus.
                            Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
                            Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
                            Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
                            www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Actually, the Neo itself is *supposed* to plug directly into the IDE chain (via it's docking tray). But that doesn't seem to work. If I took the HD out of the unit and plugged it directly into the IDE chain, everything was fine.

I sent them an irrate email last night requesting my money back. Let's see if they ever answer THAT email.

And to whoever else ordered one...I hope your experience is better than mine.

OEP

Comment

Working...
                              X