CF Card for Windows XP OS boot???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF Card for Windows XP OS boot???

I've seen & read some stuff about people using Compact Flash memory cards hooked up to their motherboards to be used as the driver for the operating system. Is this the most efficient (and quickest) way for my in car PC (still in the design stage) to boot up. If so what exactly do I need to add to a M10000 MB, how much & is it worth the extra cost over a 2.5" hard drive. And what kind of power draw does it add over using just a single hard drive?? Anyone know what size card I'd need to run XP on a CF card, 256Mb, 512Mb??? Thanks.

Not a good idea

I tried this about a year ago. I bought a CF to IDE converter and a 1 gig Lexar CF. I installed XP but after about a week it would stop working and wouldn't boot. I tried to reformat the card with no luck. After trying several different brands of cards and killing them all I called the company that made the CF to IDE converter. They told me that all CF cards have a limited number of write cycles (around 10-30,000 depending on brand). XP is constantly writing information back to the swap file. There are also a lot of other things that Windows is writing back to the HD in the background you don't see. After doing a little research I found that XP just wasn't going to work. The only solution I could come up with was to use Linux and have it boot in a read only mode.

Hope this helps
    Xenarc 700TSV ■ Holux USB GPS ■ Creative USB Sound Card
    MB: Asus MATX ■ CPU: P3 1Ghz ■ 512MB PC133 ■ 80Gig HD ■ Griffin PowerMate
    PCI Wireless G & external antenna ■ ITPS + PS-200 PS

Comment

You could probably find info on the web about how to make an XP read only image. and use an extra harddrive as the data drive for registry, swap file, ect.
      2011 Nissan Frontier SL
      AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
      OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Try using an IBM Microdrive CF card. That should have many more write cycles; it is basically a very very small hard drive.

Comment

Three words.

"Drive On Module"

Superior to CF/Microdrive solutions that you people try and use.

Comment

hmm do these drive on modules have unlimited write cycles or something?

Comment

2.5" & 3.5" IDE FLASH DRIVES

These flash drives are faster, ruggedized and can operate in a extended temperature range. They have the same form factors as the regular 2.5" rotary laptop hard drives and are the direct drop-in replacement for them. They are the great choice for the rugged PCs, industrial PCs and embedded PCs.

Please click here for more info of the IDE flash drives.

C AND flash-based technology
              C Supports capacities from 32MB up to 2GB unformatted. Great choices for the rugged PCs, industrial PCs and embedded PCs.
              C Come with one 40-44 pin or one 44-44 pin IDE ribbon cable
              C Fully IDE compatible; conforms to ATA/ATAPI-4 specification
              C Read/Write unit is 512 bytes (sectors)
              C High reliability based on internal ECC (Error Correcting Code) function
              C Master/Slave selectable
              C Installation as conventional Hard Disk Drive
              C No drivers or proprietary BIOS needed
              C Supports extended operating temperatures from -40E - +80E

http://www.psism.com/ideflashdrive.htm

Comment

If you want to use Windows, you'll have to use Win98 or one of the earlier operating systems and build a boot image on the CF that'll create a rather large ramdisk and copy the whole OS to it, then load windows off the ramdisk. The decompressing stage may take a while though.

Linux is easier for this, build your OS using a large initrd (like LEAF does).

Comment

In short.....

So after reading these posts let me see if I've got this right??

A CF card is much better as a "read only" drive for the operating system as long as you have an additional hard drive to enable all of the multiple write cycles XP carries out. I was going to add an additional hard drive just for storage so this may work.

But my question remains, how large a CF card would I need to hold the XP operating system???

Comment

Originally posted by englsh
                    So after reading these posts let me see if I've got this right??

A CF card is much better as a "read only" drive for the operating system as long as you have an additional hard drive to enable all of the multiple write cycles XP carries out. I was going to add an additional hard drive just for storage so this may work.

But my question remains, how large a CF card would I need to hold the XP operating system???
                    Just the OS? 1GB is big enough for a normal XP install, 512MB would be plenty for an nLite.

Comment

In my opinion, this is ideal.
                      http://www.transcendusa.com/Products...ldNo=1&CatNo=6
                      It has 1,000,000 program/erase cycles and goes directly into your IDE slot, no adapter necessary.

That and a read-only install of Windows XP Embedded would be great!

Comment

Use xp embeded, its free, for a trial, but you can easily make windows images that are less than 100 megs, do a search in the forums and you will find all of the info that you need. I have not yet experimented with this, because I do not have my components for my car pc yet, but when they get here, i will let everyone know what i did to get my Xp embeded working.

To find xp embeded dev tools, search MS.com.

-plinkey

Comment

Originally posted by Plinkey
                          you can easily make windows images that are less than 100 megs
                          AND... you can make it run from a CF (read-only) so it doesn't get screwed after a week or so. (Yess you can enable support for committing changes to your read-only CF-boot partition. ex.: You have a working boot, but you need to setup several configuration options once like font size of subtitles, ...)
                          Booting a Read-Only XP from a CF-card is *very* fast, even though it's transfer rates are lower that normal HD's are.
                          Needstorage
                          --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
                          And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

I'm going to need to look more into this. It sounds like the way to go. [*gives a little bump*]

Comment

Originally posted by Needstorage
                              AND... you can make it run from a CF (read-only) so it doesn't get screwed after a week or so. (Yess you can enable support for committing changes to your read-only CF-boot partition. ex.: You have a working boot, but you need to setup several configuration options once like font size of subtitles, ...)
                              Booting a Read-Only XP from a CF-card is *very* fast, even though it's transfer rates are lower that normal HD's are.
                              correct me if i am mistaken, but isn't an image a compressed form of windows? so even if the image is only a 100 megs, won't it, upon install, become larger?
                              nine.

Comment

Working...
                              X