whats a good cpu for next project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a good cpu for next project?

Hi guys. My buddy and I are wrapping un an install in his 2003 Dodge Dakota (pics and such coming soon) and I have a few questions before we do my car. In his truck we use a moboard form and old dell optiplex (p3 600 or so) running media car with dlink usb tuner and delorme earthmate GPS. While testing the install I noticed his video is kinda slow. I'm guessing its due to the cpu we used but we are going to try a better video card to see if it helps. My qestion is whats a good (and cheap) cpu to use on y car. Im not a big fan of the mini itx boards due to price and upgradeability....Thinking more along the lines of a newer atx board like the dell had with 1gig processor or so that I could find on ebay or something. Anyhoe have any suggestions or luck with anything? Also....Im not set against the mini itx boards but I dont know much about them and anything with a decent processor seemed quite pricey. So if you think they are the way to go in these applications let me know.

Thanks
    DMan

The video being slow I believe is more on the part of the video card, don't get me wrong the proc, ram and HD come into play, but I am guessing that the video card (post the specs of it and I will be able to tell) in that system is the weakest link. I P3 600 should be more than enough for video.

I want to see the pics for ideas for my Durango. Hurry hurry!
    [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

micro-atx celeron is hard to beat mainly because of initial expense and versatility.
      Welcome, cdm.
      You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
      Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

Cool....thanks for the help. We bought a new vid card on ebay that should be here soon. As for the pics they shold be up later this week.....but for now I'll tell ya we were able to install the entire thing beneath/inside the center console. When you pop up the armrest there is custom plate with the DVD drive, switches, and HD and power lights.

Comment

sounds nice
          [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

A microATX and Athlon Mobile processor is a really great combination. I have my AthlonM 2600+ running at 2ghz and is running really cool. You do need a small but effective heatsink to keep its mass down. A heavy heatsink could damage your mobo. There is a nice low profile copper cooler by Speeze intended for rackmount servers. I got mine at newegg. Light & low profile - ideal for a carputer. Cools really well too. My Athlon is running at around 35C.
            EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
            Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
            XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by cdm
              micro-atx celeron is hard to beat mainly because of initial expense and versatility.
              What MB are you using?
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

i run a mobile AMD XP 2400 in a shuttle, works great and is cool (no need to oc just for carputer though).
                My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

Originally posted by pip
                  A microATX and Athlon Mobile processor is a really great combination. I have my AthlonM 2600+ running at 2ghz and is running really cool. You do need a small but effective heatsink to keep its mass down. A heavy heatsink could damage your mobo. There is a nice low profile copper cooler by Speeze intended for rackmount servers. I got mine at newegg. Light & low profile - ideal for a carputer. Cools really well too. My Athlon is running at around 35C.
                  I have the same thing except mine isn't mobile. Works just fine. Also clocked down to 2Ghz. For that I would suggest getting a XP 1700.
                  AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                  Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                  Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                  -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by dman
                    Hi guys. My buddy and I are wrapping un an install in his 2003 Dodge Dakota (pics and such coming soon)
                    Can't wait for the pics. I have a 2003 Dakota and am not sure where to install everything. I was thinking about removing the passenger airbag and putting it there, but not sure how big the space is behind the pannel. But anyway pics would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by cdm
                      DO NOT GET A CELERON. They have one of the worst cost to performance ratios you can find. If you want cheap power then your not going to do better then an anthlon unless you go used. Celerons may seem cheap compared to equally clocked regular intel CPUs, but they are absolute dogs.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=1927&p=18

I got a micro-atx board with 512 ram, 2 ghz anthlon processor, integrated geforce 4 for just over $200.
                      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

yes don't get celeron, they have no cache(128 or 256), making them useless. AMD XP's are about the same cost, and much better.
                        My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

Uhm, BUY A VOWEL...

I have had no trouble with several celerons, they do just fine with the stock heatsink and fan from intel.

No need for the power hungry and difficult to cool AMD products.
                          (see it sits poorly when a product you like gets bad reviews)
                          TruckinMP3
                          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

as for the memory question......we only had 128 in it. I thought that might have been the culprit too so I threw in another 256 stick. Helped alot with startup but not w/video. Still waiting on the new vid card.

Comment

P3 based Celerons are awesome (the 1.0-1.4GHz), as they are basically P3's, and they still hold their own, even against 2.0GHz P4's

P4 based Celerons are crap, and THEY are worthless junk!

If you do decide to upgrade the motherboard/processor, get yourself a mATX nForce2 board with an XP1700+ or a Xp2500+ (or a Mobile 2500+)

Garry
                              Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Working...
                              X