Asus Micro Mobo and AMD XP-M 45W Barton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Micro Mobo and AMD XP-M 45W Barton

Ok I just bought the Asus microATX Mobo (A7N8X-VM/400) to set up for my next CarPC install (the Matrix). How can I change/configure so the Mobo recognize the CPU is a AMD XP-M 2500+ (45W Mobile Barton)? BIOS boot screen doesn't tell what the CPU is but stated that CPU speed is 800Mhz. What's the hell? Inside Windows Asus Ultility software, it lists CPU capability @ 2200Mhz and current @ 800MHz with Bus speed at 133MHz.

If I plug in the desktop CPU (AMD XP 2600+), the mobo recognize well.
    If I plug the Mobile CPU to the Soyo SY-K7VME (also a microATX mobo with KM400 Chipset), the Soyo mobo recognize the CPU as XP2400+ but correct CPU speed (1.8GHz) with selectable FSB speed.

Is there any jumpers (not likely), or setting in the BIOS that I can change so the Asus mobo recognize it as a 1.8GHz processor?

BTW I only use a single stick 256MB PC2700 DDR Mushkin Enhanced Memory.

alright thanks guys.
    The Matrix is ready for RELOAD
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Jumpers...
    see page 22

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...7_a7v8x-mx.pdf
    My first carPC!
    MP3/CD player
    Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but that is a different mobo. That one has VIA chipset. The one I got has nForce2 chipset. I read the manual from cover to cover, and there is nowhere they mention about CPU clockspeed setting.
      Anyone?
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

Check your cpu speed in windows, you might find it shows correct there.
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

I looked in Window System Information. Processor speed is still 800MHz. This is really suck. I don't mine if the Mobo detect the CPU and run at 1.5GHz instead of just 800.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

I think the answer is your bus speed. I believe it has to be set to 166 MHz or higher. I had this problem too and that is what fixed mine.
            [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

Eacatly the same mobo as me and CPU except mine is 1600+, mine also reads as 800Mhz, and i dunno why!
              CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

I know it was the bus speed setting, but there are no where to change it. No jumpers, no option in BIOS.
                Motoko how fast is the CPU running? Not what it read.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

Ive used CPU Z (name?) to see info on the cpu, IT SEES IT AS A 800MHZ Athlon MP, even under system properties is shows it as 800mhz. Ive checked the website and currently the mobo dosnt support Mobiles, but then again the first bios was made in March 2004, i guess new updates will be in the run? with added cpu support. i was going to email them but i got to go to work, tou think you can?

Comment

To change mine it was in the BIOS, from the manual I do not see an option for changing it, do you have the latest available BIOS? If so, and it is not available there too, that is just mean. Asus is usually better than that. You should call the technical support line to see why it is doing that too.
                    [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

I am not aware of any desktop mobos that correctly identify a mobile processor. I hace an nforce2 microATX (Biostar M7NCG 400) and it WILL identify the my Athlon-M 2600+ as a mobile processor, but only as 800mhz. If I manually set the processor multipliers etc in the BIOS I got it to 2ghz but it is listed in the post as an unknown processor.

EDIT: Considering how popular putting AthlonM processors in desktop mobos is nowadays you'd think there would be BIOS revisions to correctly identify them.
                      EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                      Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                      XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

If it is an nForce chipset, you won't get it to work. I returned mine and got the 2500+ Barton. I really wanted it to work, and it wasn't just reporting that speed. I tried installing the speed step software, and all the utilities from AMD, and nothing worked. it was way faster with the 2500 Barton than with the 2600 mobile processor. I wanted it for the low heat, and I wish it would work. I didn't want to change motherboards because I wanted the GForce4 MX 440 built in graphics with VGA and SVHS out, and I can't find anything comparable in other chipset motherboards.

Comment

so its a lost cause? damn. not even new boises would make it work?

Comment

^
                            Oops!
                            My first post and I screwed up...

I'd give tech support a call before you give up.
                            My first carPC!
                            MP3/CD player
                            Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

I want this mobo for the all-in-one features (on-board Video card support Lilliput resulution), size, Ac-power resume and 2 serial ports. With this board and a AMD XP-M processor, it's a great combination for CarPC or HTPC. I hope that Asus will release a new bios that you can change the FSB speed. I don't need to overlock this CPU. I just want it to run at its intended speed or a little slower.
                              Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

Working...
                              X