sound blaster platinum extend the ide cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound blaster platinum extend the ide cable

has anyone tried to extend the ide cable from the sound card to the 5 1/4 drive bay controller? i'm planning on extending it from the trunk to my glove box (@10') and i was wondering if anyone else has tried this yet?

a 10' IDE cable?!

Comment

Originally posted by dim-8
      has anyone tried to extend the ide cable from the sound card to the 5 1/4 drive bay controller? i'm planning on extending it from the trunk to my glove box (@10') and i was wondering if anyone else has tried this yet?
      Lots of people have tried long IDE cables, with mixed results, mostly unsuccessful.
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

well?

Comment

http://www.dansdata.com/rcables.htm

18 inches. If you want to read it for yourself right off the spec sheets you will probably have to do a bit more searching.

Google is your friend.

Comment

I would say you could possibly risk up to double the spec, but surely not a full 10 feet.

Comment

well, remember that it wouldn't work if it was actually running an IDE device, but since its just running the front drive slot, its probably worth a shot.

Comment

I have made it 4 feet with a cdrom and it was still kinda off.
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

<post deleted due to poster's ignorance>

Carry on.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

No, you've all got it wrong, he's not trying to put a cd/dvd drive at the front of the car. Skorpion is the only one so far who is right, and who has picked up on what the dim-8 wants to do.

He is wanting to move the front panel from a Sound Blaster Platinum to the front of the car.

All this does is provide analogue/digital connections to the sound card from the front panel. It doesn't take IDE signals, but it uses (what is basically) a 40 pin IDE cable.

Therefore, it should be worth a shot to get it working, if not, it's not going to cause any damage.

Oh, and everyone else, for the record, there are a couple of people here who have used 15 FOOT IDE cables with CD/DVD drives, and they have worked (i'm not saying this is true for everyone who tries, but it has worked for some people)

Garry
                    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                      No, you've all got it wrong, he's not trying to put a cd/dvd drive at the front of the car. Skorpion is the only one so far who is right, and who has picked up on what the dim-8 wants to do.

He is wanting to move the front panel from a Sound Blaster Platinum to the front of the car.

All this does is provide analogue/digital connections to the sound card from the front panel. It doesn't take IDE signals, but it uses (what is basically) a 40 pin IDE cable.

Therefore, it should be worth a shot to get it working, if not, it's not going to cause any damage.

Oh, and everyone else, for the record, there are a couple of people here who have used 15 FOOT IDE cables with CD/DVD drives, and they have worked (i'm not saying this is true for everyone who tries, but it has worked for some people)

Garry
                      Ahhh. See, I missed the crucuial word 'controller' in there.
                      And i could care less if the Pope uses 15-foot IDE cables and is willing to bless mine with sweat from the body of Jesus himself... It's not worth it to me to even risk. I'll stay within teh specs for my IDE, thank you!
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I might test a 10' IDE cable for fun some day but i wouldn't rely on it. Its the kind of thing that might work one day and not the next. Corrupt data that wouldn't be caught until too late...

Yes I too missed what was actually being asked for here...

Comment

Working...
                        X