No announcement yet.

Reverse Engineering Challenge

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Engineering Challenge

OK I am trying to use the CD-IN on the factory head unit in my 2001 civic as the input for my mp3 player. Unfortunatly, I have not found a pre-made adapter to convert the CD-IN to a regular RCA connector, so I think i'm going to have to do it myself using this cable

a multimeter, and a lot of hope.

The problem is...well...I have no idea what I'm doing. From other posts in the forum, I'm assuming that there's a common ground and a wire for each speaker (RFront, LFront, etc..). I'm also assuming there's a data wire.

So the questions abound. How do I reverse engineer the data input for the head unit? Any guesses as to the voltage or protocol? I'm hoping that I can use the parallel port to handle sending/receiving data from the head unit.

I know there's a lot of people out there who would love to use that AUX in on their civic stereos to play mp3's. I'm hoping I can figure this out (and post it, of course) but I'm going to need some help.

why don't you upgrade the entire stereo to an aftermarket... the factory radio that came with my 97 civic was absolutely crappy looking... ended up wiht a JVC KD-SH77 which is well worth the $200 i paid for it =)

You are going to have to fool the head unit into thinking that there is some sort of a cd-changer attached to it... and personally i have no idea how you are going to find that out.
    04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

I remember around a year back someone posted a link to a page where it explaned how different protocols work and some detailed information about them...
      Does anybody remembers this link???

System Comp V3 - In progress.
      Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Anyone know if the Honda 2001 v6 accord has an Aux-In on the 6cd changer (factory)?