Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How quick is yours?

Hi All

Just for general info here, I want to find out how quickly everyones car PC boots up, ready to play music/etc.
    I am trying to see if the O/S makes a huge difference. ATM, I am using Win2k due to driver issues with some of my hardware.
    Post your approx boot up time, hopefully in secs (unless it is baaaaddd :P) and your O/S and lets compare.

When I can, I will post mine :P
    www.leoncupra.co.uk

who boots nowadays.... i thought everyone was using hibernate.

for hibernate roughly 15 seconds

standard EPIA setup
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

17sec from boot to launch of media engine
      Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

17 sec from hybernate to music. I also load Routis and my cell phone program in that time, and all of WinXP. Not thinnned out.
        Stop Buying New Music CD's.
        Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

About 15 Seconds from hibernate to music. About 40 seconds from cold boot to music (maybe a little less since I scrapped symantec anti-virus real time scanner).

I'm running a P3 667 MHz with 192MB of ram, and WinXp Pro.

Comment

15-17 seconds to boot to playing media. And maybe 5-10 seconds to shutdown w/ hibernate..but sometimes I just kill the power so 1 second shutdown.
            Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Without POST mine takes about 3-4 seconds till it is playing music.
              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

@samc, 15-17 secs to boot, cold? How are you guys getting these kinds of time. I get nearly 15 seconds just for post and thats with self-check disabled, all the built-in devices disabled (except video, com, usb, and the first ide). I have just finished optimizing XP following the guides found here and elsewhere (stopped most services, removed a bunch of crap, etc) and cold boot, including post still takes 50+ seconds. From hibernation (512MB) it's still 30+ seconds to get to the desktop (not counting loading frodoplayer, etc). Resume from suspend is about 7 seconds to music.
                2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                  @samc, 15-17 secs to boot, cold? How are you guys getting these kinds of time. I get nearly 15 seconds just for post and thats with self-check disabled, all the built-in devices disabled (except video, com, usb, and the first ide). I have just finished optimizing XP following the guides found here and elsewhere (stopped most services, removed a bunch of crap, etc) and cold boot, including post still takes 50+ seconds. From hibernation (512MB) it's still 30+ seconds to get to the desktop (not counting loading frodoplayer, etc). Resume from suspend is about 7 seconds to music.
                  Holy crap that is slow.
                  AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                  Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                  Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                  -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

getting 20-25 seconds cold with a 366mhz celeron with 192 RAM.

Comment

My Dell Optiplex GX110 posts wicked fast... Probably 4 sec XP is booting.

Comment

Amazing Rando, if your post takes 30 seconds, there may be an error. Go into your CMOS and set any hard drive channels that don't have anything attached from Auto to None. Also, make sure it is set to quick mode (different name in different BIOSs) and that it isn't counting all the memory.
                        Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                        http://hallert.net/

Comment

I'm using xplite and I striped out evyhing I did not need and then I ran bootvis. Boot up from hibernate is even faster
                          Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

Boot cold: 30s
                            Return from hibernate: 15s

Post is reduced by turning off all hardware not in use such as the floppy.
                            EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                            Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                            XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
                              Amazing Rando, if your post takes 30 seconds, there may be an error. Go into your CMOS and set any hard drive channels that don't have anything attached from Auto to None. Also, make sure it is set to quick mode (different name in different BIOSs) and that it isn't counting all the memory.
                              I said 15, not 30 and already mentioned that I have all of the other IDE channels off as well as disabling self-check (ie quick mode). My system is about 15 seconds to post and another 35 or so to get XP to the desktop (clean install + optimizations). Anyone want to post their exact settings? Tell me the magic for the 4sec POST and/or 12-15 sec XP boot.
                              2004 4runner

Comment

Working...
                              X