Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recomendations on a new head unit (CD) with AUX inputs for a MP3 player.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendations on a new head unit (CD) with AUX inputs for a MP3 player.

I am looking to buy a new head unit, and come to find out, there aren't as many as I thought there would be with AUX inputs for connecting a car MP3 player. I am looking for a quality name brand, and CD not tape. Any/all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

JKN4

Well, if you want AUX input on the front. AIWA is the only way to go. I just bought a CDC-X507M. Cant wait to install it...
    Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
    Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
    Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
    www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

smashr2k
      where you get that aiwa cd head unit

Comment

JKN4
        Most of the Panasonic cd players (not the cheap ones) have AUX inputs in the back. Also, there is a addon kit for many of the Pioneer cd players (again not the cheap ones), called CD-RB20 wich adds AUX-IN. Check out their websites to find out wich do and wich don't. I hope this helps.

smashr2k
        I don't think inputs in the front looks very nice for a permanent mp3 player install. This would only be useful for those portable players witch you plug in when you're in your car, and carry along when you go.

Comment

Suprisingly enough, I bought my unit at best buy. It turns out that Aiwa does not sell to online retailers. I only found one that was selling the cdc-x507 and it was slightly more expensive than best buy. Perhaps you are right as to the unsightly looking aux in on the front, however it IS the most versatile, and relativly inexpensive unit where you can get aux in. Like i said, i just bought the head unit so we will see how it works out.

Comment

A big prob with AIWA head units is that the face get extremely hot after a few minutes..

...look somewhere else, most def

------------------
            ---go terps

MykolJay
            --------
            mykolJay
            99 Accord coupe
            http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
            My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Thanks for all of your feedback. Insane, you are correct, I am looking for the rear input because this is a perminant install, not portable (it is the Reality Car MP3 player from www.gnetcanada.com, nice unit!). After looking, the Panasonic CD receiver, model # CQ-DFX99, looks tempting, but I have not heard a lot about Panasonic's car stereo equipment. Any opinions? Please keep the feedback coming on that, and any/all other units that apply. Thanks again.

JKN4

[This message has been edited by JKN4 (edited 07-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JKN4 (edited 07-11-2000).]

Comment

The JVC KD-SX850, and 1000R both have VCR control and inputs in the back, and 2 sets of outs. THe 850 is slot load, and the 1000R is Flip Face. I have the 850 and love it.

Laterz,
                SSJGogeta

------------------

Comment

well i've got the four year waruntee, so if/when anything breaks i get a brand new one. I still say Aiwa is good.

Comment

I don't have any experience personally with the AIWA headunits. Once upon a time, thay made a great dual cassette deck (home unit) that took a lot of abuse from us high school kids.

I really like the Pioneer head units. I have one in my wife's car and one in my truck. The one currently in my truck replaced one that I had since '92, and the only reason I replaced it was to uprgrade to more features, as well as the Chrysler/GM perfect fit chassis. The unit I pulled has since been installed in my buddy's Celica, and its still going strong to this day.

In my wife's previous car, I installed a Kenwood head unit. It also worked flawlessly until the day we sold the car.

As always, you get what you pay for. Make sure that YOU are happy with the features and ergonomics of any device you put in your car, as you will be the one using it everyday.

"It's just my opinion, ought to be yours too"
                    KG6OQD
                    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

i currently own a pioneer 7000r, a sweed head unit with a flip down face, a much better 45x4 amp inside than sony (from past experience) and i ordered for like 20 or 30 bucks, an aux adapter that plugs into the cd changer port..also..a cool feature is that you can change what you want the aux sourse to say (for example, mine is "mp3").

pioneer, clarion, and kenwood rock

------------------
                      ---go terps

MykolJay
                      --------
                      mykolJay
                      99 Accord coupe
                      http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                      My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

I bought the kenwood excelon krc-x657.
                        It has cd controler, they make a adapter (ca-c1ax) for rca input. There is a nice kenwood excelon skin for winamp at there site.
                        mp3k5

Comment

Ive got an Aiwa head unit and I think it's great. I do agree that the front input doesn't like as neat, there are ways to get around that and still keep it looking ok. When I bought the unti it was the best priced for features and quality among heads with Aux input (right next to Panasonic). They only real thing that I can say about it thats negative is that its slightly prone to stoplight syndrome. Where you'll stop and there will be a very small area where FM recpetion is bad. Problem can usually be solved by inching up a little. One head unit you could look into is Blaupunkt. Especially if you want crystal clear FM reception. Moat of there units also have rear inputs or you can get an adapter to have rear inputs. One other thing about the Aiwa units...the 2000 models...the have a 'unique' styling that I just dont like. The 99 and under models have a very nice clean interface.

Catlas

Comment

Working...
                          X