Well I Finally Ordered my PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I Finally Ordered my PC

Well after waiting for clients to pay up for websites that I have been developing, I finally order the PC for my carputer:

1 Slim 24X Slot Loading DVD-ROM & CD-RW - Panasonic CW-8123-B
    1 Travla C134 mini-ITX EPIA M case - Silver
    1 256MB PC2700 333MHz DDR DIMM - Ultra Low Profile
    1 Slim CD IDE Adapter
    1 VIA Epia MII 12000 Nehemiah Mainboard
    Total: UKP375.28

All from LinITX.com, who were very helpful with my indecisive ***! I ordered the black one first, and decided that a silver one would look more bling

I already have a 30gb hard drive to go in it, so now all I need is a screen and a Carnetix PSU and a GPS mouse.

It should all arrive tomorrow at my office, so its XP installing time and RTFM time!!! It'll be on the bench for a little while, so I can have a little play. I may even upload some instructions etc on how well I've done at putting it together.

I went for the 12000 for a couple of reasons, I want a PCMCIA wireless lan card in it, and was considering a CF GPS mouse, but I am still open to suggestions.

Whaddyathink?

Chewiee

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
    Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU
    Silver Travla C134, Slot Loading DVD/CDRW,
    256MB, VIA Epia MII 12000, Carnetix 60W, Xenarc VGA/Composite TS and a GPS Mouse

Good choices... Be good to get a guide together.

I'm currently reviewing my requirements before buying from LinITX.

I'm considering the M10000 as I'm not sure I need PCMCIA. The idea of getting a C134 has been dropped as I want to make use of the PCI slot and fit a VIA PCI riser card. Poss for sound and see how the onboard graphics cope. Otherwise I'll throw in a PCI gfx card (dual VGA for another screen).

I'm considering getting the opus. What was your decision for the carnetix?

Comment

Originally posted by chewiee
      1 Travla C134 mini-ITX EPIA M case - Silver
      1 VIA Epia MII 12000 Nehemiah Mainboard
      Keep us posted on your progress! I'm really wondering how you're gonna fit the m2-12000 into the c134-case. I have a custom made case now, because I don't have a din-slot free in my current car, but I'm very intrested in the c134 case for my future car.
      You do know you need low-profile RAM memory to go with this case? (Normal RAM is higher and won't allow you to fit it in to the small case.)

Edit: Oops, must have not seen you already said you got ultra-low profile ram
      Needstorage
      --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
      And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

Originally posted by Needstorage
        I'm really wondering how you're gonna fit the m2-12000 into the c134-case.
        You think there'll be a problem? :s I hadn't even considered that!

Are they not the same sort of size?

Chewiee

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
        Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU
        256MB, VIA Epia MII 12000, Carnetix 60W, Xenarc VGA/Composite TS and a GPS Mouse

Comment

I thought they were the same size but don't quote me on that!

- Yep standard RAM height is 1.25" and the low profile required is <19mm IIRC.

Comment

You think there'll be a problem? :s I hadn't even considered that!

Are they not the same sort of size?

Chewiee
            I'm not shure. The C134 case states that it is compatible with Epia M-motherboards. (You comply with that one)
            But I've seen a post (on this forum somewhere) that you will need to mod the back panel a bit for the PCMCIA and CF-card extension slots. (The bezel that comes with the Epia M2-12000 doesn't fit the C-134 case without some minor mods)
            Needstorage
            --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
            And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

I'm not shure. The C134 case states that it is compatible with Epia M-motherboards. (You comply with that one)
              But I've seen a post (on this forum somewhere) that you will need to mod the back panel a bit for the PCMCIA and CF-card extension slots. (The bezel that comes with the Epia M2-12000 doesn't fit the C-134 case without some minor mods)

In my best MC Hammer voice...

STOP... DREMMEL TIME!

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
              Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU

Comment

Yep, I can confirm that it needs a dremmel

I just wanted to let you guys know, that the Epia M12000 does indeed need to have a Dremmel taken to the back of it!

I received it all today from LinITX.com and got all excited at the thought of a new PC to play with... and now I have had to call my mate and borrow his Dremmel (I know I need my own, but I've only once before needed on for a spot light mod on my Frontera).

I will post my results, and let you know how I get on... I will look on this site now for some postings about the M12000 and Travla c134 case now...

Chewiee

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
                Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU

Comment

OK, OK, OK... Who's the Wise Guy?!

Am I correct in assuming that the Travla c134 and the Epia Mini ITX cases do NOT come with a PSU?

I've taken everything out, and the only thing I seem to have is a new kettle lead!

Have I missed something?

Chewiee

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
                  Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that the Travla c134 and the Epia Mini ITX cases do NOT come with a PSU?
                    Yes, the C134 includes a Morex 60W supply and power brick. Here's a link at Linitx (where you bought it from). http://linitx.com/product_info.php?p...ab176da30f6ea6

Perhaps you got it without the PSU for a lower price?
                    2004 4runner

Comment

You do know you need low-profile RAM memory to go with this case? (Normal RAM is higher and won't allow you to fit it in to the small case.)
                      If you don't want to use the CD slot, you can make the taller ram fit with only some minor cutting inside the case.
                      2004 4runner

Comment

Arghhh its sooo annoying, I was hoping to spend the weekend nerding up with this thing, and it looks like I'll have to see the outside of my house, and enjoy that damn sunshine!!!

I ain't happy

What are the odds, I'll have to send my travla back for them to send me one with a powerpack?!!?!

#Just Keep Swimming,
                        Just Keep Swimming,
                        Just Keep Swimming! #

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
                        Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU

Comment

Hi all, new to the forum,
                          I dont have a carputer set up yet just at the research stage, weighing up all my possible options.

CHEWIEE Where did you find the carnetix psu? i have googled it so many times and always come up blank, I am also in the UK and am planning a similar system but with the travla c150 black case, keep us posted of any glitches/probs you run into along the way,

By the way, TOP NOTCH FORUM !!!!

Comment

OK Typical Me!

Well my Travla C134 did not come with a PSU, as they forgot to put one in. I am however not gonna be around at the house next week, so they are posting it to my clients office in Notts.

It did have to be dremmel'd... and filed.. and dremmel'd. Had to stop as it was about midnight when I called it a day!

Will post my bastartisation... I also told LinITX that the case is not compliant, and the informed me that they would update the website.

As for the Carnetix... its US only I am afraid. I have yet to get one! Have mentioned this to LinITX.com they seem like good boys, but they are a little pro Opus.

I'll provide some documentation on my dremmeling if anyone is interested. I have not taken any photos though... camera batteries don't seem to last that long anymore!

Just to let you guys know, I pulled all the electrics off of the board, I didn't want any metal dust on my components as they may have shorted the board out... just thought I'd let everyone know.

Chewiee

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
                            Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU

Comment

Does anyone know if the morex 60w job in the travla case is sufficient for in car use?
                              i dont mind manually switching on the pc as im going to be sticking it into the dash anyway, but i dont know if it would fry during cranking ?

Also i was thinking of splicing the 12v power rail of the PSU so that i can get my monitor to power on at the same time as when i push the pcs power button dont know if this would drain too much from the PSU though, the monitors are marked as less than 8w but i dont know how much the rest of the comp will take??

Comment

Working...
                              X